700r4 vs 2004r

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
I have a carbureted '95 Vette Lt1 with a THM 350 trans in one of my other cars, a 56 Ford. According to a Hot Rod magazine dyno article (GM hot cam, headers, 3" mufflers and exhaust, 750 Holley ultra, GM Performance Parts intake) it should be near 400hp at 6000 rpm. With a B&M shift kit it barks second gear real nice and works great, except my head is like a bobble head doll when it shifts with the rev's up. Subsequently in my 80 Malibu I installed a B&M shift kit in a 700r4 set at the rv setting and was not happy because it was too soft. Now I want to upgrade the Ford THM 350 to a 2004r(86 regal) or 700r4(86 Impala). I have both transmissions. One will require a driveshaft change and the other a cross member change, so neither is exactly a bolt in. The Ford has 3.08's in a 9" rear right now. I have a 3.70 posi and a 4.57 third member to do some initial track testing. It has leaf springs, track bars and I have some 30" Hoosiers slicks that fit it. At 3800 lb., I think it should run 13's. In the past the car had a dual quad 428 CJ Ford engine and ran 13.8@103 with the 3.08's.
It will end up with the 3.70 and a 4 speed auto for the lower first gear and overdrive. For the price of a <$50 shift kit, which trans is the best choice for primarily a street car? Your thoughts.
full

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor