MALIBU 78 4 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty t

n00b
May 26, 2018
Valparaiso Indiana
Maybe you fine folks can help figure what i had. My First G body was a 1978 malibu with 4 speed, posi, V8, buckets, tach, gauges. I don't remember some details, not sure if it had a console or not. Could that have been some type of package or just optioned by someone trying to relive the muscle car era? Eventually the frame rusted and I parted it out. The only thing I have left are the pedals and clutch cross shaft. This was about 1987. I have since had several more, 3 1987 monte SS's, 2 being aerocoupes. I've been thinking about maybe trying another G body fairly soon, not real sure what I want yet and i need to button up a couple other projects first, so I thought I would start with this!
thanks
Scotty T

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
A 4 speed would have the same console box used with the automatic but a tray in place of the automatic shifter. It also has a unique front support bracket

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_163521104.jpg
    IMG_20190302_163521104.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 328
  • carparts4sale014.jpg
    carparts4sale014.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: 3 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
My first Malibu was a 78 that was same colors as my current one. That was a 305 4 speed, posi, gauges, buckets, console, F41 and no a/c. I think the only other option it had besides 2 toned paint was a mono radio with the single dash speaker and no rear speakers.
There was no "package" per say, but there were a lot of 78-80's ordered with similar options. Not all had buckets; may had bench seats. Not all bucket seat cars came with a console as it was always a separate option. There are several guys on here with factory 4 speed 78-80 Malibus.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
My 4 speed car had the console, v8 no a/c, and the sweep dash. I wish mine had the gauge package.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Actually, there were no GM-produced Malibus with bucket seats

You had to buy a Malibu Classic to be able to spec buckets.

Even 40+ years ago, they really put the screws to buyers to get the good stuff

Scotty t

n00b
May 26, 2018
Valparaiso Indiana
I wish I could remember more details but it was a long time ago. I've hung on to the clutch pedal all these years thinking I would put a Muncie 4spd in another malibu or monte. Now i would use a 5 speed. Lately I've been thinking more about an el camino. when I button up my 56 belair project I may jump on another G body. thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor