78-80 cutlass 1/4 glass and trim removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Like the title says. Looking for any guidance on how to remove the quarter glass and wide chrome trim on the body. Thanks in advance Mike

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm going from memory here on this one, so please forgive me if I miss a step or two...

1) The upper rear interior panel will need to be removed. To make it easier, you may find you need to remove the upper Torx T50 seatbelt bolt at the "B" pillar. You will also find you need to remove the upper seat back to access the screws covered up by the seat back. This necessitates removing the rear seat bottom first, then the rear seat back via more Torx T50 bolts at the bottom of the seat back. With the seat back and bottom out of the way, you'll have full access to the side panels. Remove the upper for sure, and possibly the lower for easier access.

***BE CAREFUL removing the upper interior panel. There is a flimsy foam seal that usually sticks to the glass that is supposed to be attached to trim that goes around the window opening on the interior plastic. This seal usually tears and falls apart due to the age of our cars. It's not replaceable in stock form at this time, so just be prepared.***

2) With the rear panels removed, you will see metal clips at the top, bottom and sides pressing against the glass. They are held in with 7mm screws, remove these also.

3) With those out, the glass will be held and sealed in place with a gooey black sealant, carefully apply pressure to the outside of the glass inwards while trimming the sealer with a sharp knife. Don't drop the glass when it's about to come out!

4) With the glass out, you'll likely find that you've got to do some clean up of the sealer. What you're looking to do is expose the screws that hold the chrome trim on from inside the car.

NOTE: this is where my memory is a bit fuzzy. I can't remember exactly if there are additional screws holding the hard black weatherstrip seal (that's visible from outside the car) to the chrome trim. I don't think there is, as I think it just clips into the chrome, but I could be wrong.

Lacquer thinner works well for dissolving the sealant, but be prepared for a bit of a mess. Disposable gloves and lots of rags or paper towels are almost a necessity.

5) Once the screws are exposed, remove them and gently and carefully work the chrome trim up, off and out of the opening. This may or may not be easy depending on the condition of the car.

Take your time, go slow, and don't force anything. If it seems like there's something still holding it in, there probably is. Just try and find it.
It's a fairly easy straightforward process, can be accomplished with simple hand tools.

If you find you get stuck or need additional help, feel free to ask here or PM me, I'm happy to help.

Donovan

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 1 users

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Just wanted to post an update. Donovan your memory was spot on . The only difference I had was all the screws were Philips head. I was able to get my NOS moulding and weatherstrip in place. Thanks again Mike

Attachments

• 20170312_145219.jpg
    20170312_145219.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 876
  • 20170312_145158.jpg
    20170312_145158.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 771
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just wanted to post an update. Donovan your memory was spot on . The only difference I had was all the screws were Philips head. I was able to get my NOS moulding and weatherstrip in place. Thanks again Mike

Hey, very glad to hear it Mike. They look fantastic! Happy I was able to help.
Just wondering, were both the mouldings and the seals you replaced NOS, or just the mouldings?
Myself and a fellow member Carlows here have both been looking for the seals for a couple years now and haven't ever been able to come up with anything.
Wondering if wherever you got them from might have another set of seals or two...??? My chrome mouldings are in great shape, but the seals could use replacing.

Thanks in advance,
Donovan

Reactions: 1 user

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Both seals and mouldings were NOS they came attached. I found the left and right on EBay. I have been searching for many years for the rubber only. I finally gave in and bought the entire assembly. I have a right side weatherstip which is used but in great shape. I have a couple lefts but are not usable

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Here is the seller I bought from. He has sold more than one set. Try to contact him

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-12-16-21-04.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-12-16-21-04.png
    229 KB · Views: 290
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Here is the seller I bought from. He has sold more than one set. Try to contact him

Great!
Thank you very much. I will definitely try and contact him to see if he has any more.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor