78 Cutlass exhaust manifolds 260 vs others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
I posted looking for a 78 cutlass 260 right side exhaust manifold in the wanted section.

I'm told that all the small blocks are the same,but I can only find backup for this in 81-85
Everywhere I look it looks like the 78 and 79 260 small block exhaust manifolds are different from the other small block manifolds.

I know someone here can tell me for sure.

Thanks!

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Yes, the 260 exhaust manifolds are different from all the others ( but all the others will still bolt on and work though ). I actually didn't know this until last year when I helped my friend pull the 260 out of his 79 Cutlass and I noticed it. Those things are tiny! The crossover pipe is like the size of a straw!

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
So,any small block Olds exhaust manifold that I can find will bolt on wothout any modifications?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
So,any small block Olds exhaust manifold that I can find will bolt on wothout any modifications?

Yes, but they wouldn't necessarily be optimal for best performance. If you bolted on a set of 'normal' sized manifolds, you'll have the small exhaust ports of the 260 heads feeding into a larger manifold which would kill some of the velocity to some degree. How much will it hurt you? I don't know. Probably nothing you'd notice but if you're driving around with a 260, then I'm assuming performance is at the very bottom of your list of priorities anyhow.

Jeff in Ferndale WA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2012
Ferndale NW Washington
thanks for the replies.
I just found a 260 manifold on the web,so don't have to worry about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor