BUILD THREAD 78 Cutlass UK restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
Hello everybody who welcomed me here: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/78-olds-in-uk.69114/
and greetings to everyone else.

I'm busy restoring my car and was going to do the build thread afterwards but thought it makes sense to post as I go along.

So today, despite the brake pedal that does not return up, today is a little milestone as I managed to drive the car forwards, over and backwards into my allocated parking space (neighbour is happy now).

I eased up rear drums (e-brakes were tight on), checked front calipers, brakes, hoses, master cylinder, booster etc.

Topped up 500ml of DexII for the transmission which gave a positive gear change.

Topped up brake reservoir which was low on the back half.

When the car was delivered on 19th May it was left halfway over our spaces:

It's only taken me a month to move it into line:

IMG_20180620_185637485_HDR.jpg

While driving it forward and backward into that spot, I had less than 1 inch of brake action from the floor. It had a new master cylinder just before it was taken off the road in 2008.

Right now I'm reviewing my photos because I think either (or both) the brake balance valve and valve to driver side flexi joint may be the faulty component/s.
Especially as I can hear a hissing/squirting sound under my left foot when pushing the brake pedal (engine off) and the lower arm and frame in the vicinity are 'well lubed' compared to the rest of the rusty underside...

IMG_20180620_184141205.jpg

IMG_20180620_184421603.jpg

That's it for today, thanks for reading and sorry if the images are too large.

Next, I will post everything that I had to do so far to move it sideways all of 3 foot..
Along with other bits I have been doing at the same time - what I call evening jobs - stuff I can bring in the house and do when the sun is down like interior retrimming.

Reactions: 2 users

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
P.S.
This is the kinda thing that pulls up outside of my job everyday that gives me inspiration:
IMG_20180619_140555757_HDR[1].jpg

left hand drive, manual gearbox import from California

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
Hello Saevar Orn Eiriksson (sorry I can't type correct Icelandic alphabet on my computer)
I'm checking your work right now, liking the high rise trucks and the snowy landscape!

Reactions: 1 user

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
If you need any help getting parts from UK let me know (although I imagine its way easier for you to get from USA or Norway/rest of Europe)

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
Right, I've been slacking on the updates - obviously during world cup time.
But I have been doing little bits and pieces like mocking up some door panels (not happy with the fit and a bit plain so I will redo them with different foam and panel or pleated stitched Vinyl.

IMG_20180627_195241633_small.jpg
IMG_20180627_195447125_small.jpg

Yes, I need new front floor pans next.

Reactions: 5 users

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Right, I've been slacking on the updates - obviously during world cup time.
But I have been doing little bits and pieces like mocking up some door panels (not happy with the fit and a bit plain so I will redo them with different foam and panel or pleated stitched Vinyl.

View attachment 92015 View attachment 92016

Yes, I need new front floor pans next.
you feel doing the roof with insulation/sound deadner is worth it? I was planning on doing the floor, doors and trunk
on my monte

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
Hello street sweeper

I have some cheap left over insulation that I'm throwing up everywhere that had thin stuff before.

Above the headlining was the plastic-like board which was okay but above that was damp fibreboard/hardboard type material which pulled away in clumps and I can bet were the cause of the little rust holes in the top of the roof, particularly near the rear window.

But for sure the floor (when its repaired) and the trunk and behind the rear seat will get some of the good stuff, and I will redo the doors with better insulation also.

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
Meanwhile here are another few cool cars that turned up near my job - maybe I need to start a separate thread for these?
(I got permission from the Challengers owner (hello!) to post this but if the other owners want me to take down the pictures let me Know)
IMG_20180625_163717791 small.jpg
IMG_20180706_114008745_small.jpg
IMG_20180706_141853902 small.jpg
IMG_20180706_141942845_small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor