'78 El Camino VS. New BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
Hey guys, just wanted to share a memorable experience with my former G-body. I had a '78 El Camino which was a factory 350 car, but somewhere along the line the original motor and metric trans were swapped for a '73 350 2bbl and th350 out of a Monte Carlo. That's the lowest power 350 ever made with 145 horsepower, but it had gobs of low end torque and the factory highway gears kept it in the power band. Combine that with the fact it isn't that heavy and didn't spin 'em; it actually got off the line quite well. It had true duals off the manifolds and open filter so it ran healthier for an old oily, smokey, smog motor.

I loved crusing around at night with it and always wanted to race people I knew I had a chance of beating to about 50mph (just to the speed limit every now and then). It didn't happen that often though. One night I was sitting at a stoplight along side a newer BMW and I decided I would launch it in case he wanted to have a go at it. I think it was a 5-series, probably 50 grand plus, and at least 100hp advantage over me. So we both took off strong and I couldn't believe it I kept looking over and I was constantly a nose ahead of him. He was probably floored as was I. We got up to probably 55-60 and he just backed off and gave up. I thought it was so cool that with just pure torque, I managed to beat a new BMW 5-series in a drag race with my rat trap '78 El Camino smogger 350 LOL.

Reactions: 1 user

johnson350

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2013
Florida, USA
Sometimes these old g bodies will suprise you what they can do.

This reminds me of a story, not as impressive of course, but I had a very similar experience. It was after school one day, just crusing around in my Buick. Pull up at a stop light. In the other lane sits a plain jane 90's mustang. V6 of course, if it was a V8 no way in hell I woulda attempted that lol. So the light flips green and very suprisingly my old Buick is keeping up with that mustang. I did come out not even a car length behind once we hit 60, but very suprised that this granny 3.8 with 2.41 gears kept up with that mustang.

Also raced my buddies Saturn Ion, that things got some go, and the Buick again came out barely behind it. That old V6 ain't a bad little motor IMO.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Thats one benefit to having high *ss gears that were put in most gbodys. 2.28 aint nothing for take off power but atleast you got a whole lot better chance of it hooking at least lol and it may take forever to hit the powerband of your motor but once your in you are in it for awhile at least so it pulls hard lol

My truck got the 400 horse 350 that my malibu use to have and my truck has 3.42 gearing while malibu has 2.28. The truck rapps out quick threw the gears but doesnt spend as much time in the powerband like the malibu did

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor