78 Grand Prix build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
I purchased this Pontiac Grand Prix LJ about 8 months ago for $800 and drove it home. Its a 2bbl 301 and still has the metric transmission. Gutless, but the body is straight and most importantly minimal rust.

Up until this point I've tinkered and repaired minor mechanical issues. Sorted out an issue with the heater (no heat) which turned out to be no divider plate in the water pump; water was not circulating through the heater core. Replaced the blower relay to restore high fan speed, and replaced a water temp sending to restore the temp gauge function.

Cooling system flushed, plugs/cap/rotor/wires, timing and carb adjust, fresh synthetic oil and filter change, air filter, etc. Standard tune-up stuff.

I noticed that the car ran hot (at least according to the temp gauge) after I replaced the sending unit, but wasn't sure if the gauge was just inaccurate. I had also noticed some time ago when replacing my PCV valve that there was a bunch of debris in the valley cover. It was suggested by a member here that it could be oil coking. I cleaned out what I could with a shop vac. Enter today.

I'd settled on making due with the 301, but I can not leave well enough alone and decided to make use of a bunch of parts I'd acquired for other projects over the years. I am going to adapt a TBI unit controlled by Megasquirt II with LS2 coil-near-plug ignition in wasted spark. I pulled my carb and intake manifold and was not prepared to see the condition of the topside of my valves. I immediately pulled the valley pan to inspect further.

Attachments

• 20151128_143810.jpg
    20151128_143810.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 554

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
20160624_162334.jpg

20160624_145700.jpg

20160624_164143.jpg

20160624_164152.jpg

So I've got the engine pulled now and am in the process of tearing it down to inspect the crankcase/bearings etc. I'm not quite sure what my next move will be.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What are your plans/wants for the car? Cruiser? Whatever you do, if I was in your shoes and had the engine out, I would be thinking about an overdrive.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If it's just a cruiser you could freshen up and slightly warm up the 301, put in a better rear gear and an overdrive and have a well performing car.

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
The plan was to make it a driver. I've been eyeballing a Comp 252H which seems to be a good cam for these engines keeping the powerband low.
I hadn't put a ton of effort into it, but I've been looking at Craigslist for a deal on a 700R4 or 2004R. I need to replace some torn quarter window gaskets too which have been difficult to find.

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Bearings are shot and there are some pretty significant scratches on the crank. I really don't want to sink a bunch of money into rebuilding this 301, so now I'm looking for a 389 and bigger Poncho.

Reactions: 1 user

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Any 326 thru 455 will bolt in using the 301 mounts.
Don't overlook a Pontiac 326/350, would make a great driver and people give them away.
Build for torque, max of 3.23 rear and enjoy.

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
I've got a line on a running 1965 389... glad I stuck to my guns and held out on spending anything on the 301! Hoping it pans out.

In other news, I've pulled the frame out from under the car and am in the process of stripping it for paint. I'm running SC&C Stage 2+ upper control arms, stock lowers with Del-a-lum bushings, tall upper and lower ball joints, stock spindles and am trying to figure out which Billstein shock to go with. I've also got a full set of 4th gen F Body brakes that will be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor