easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
1978grandprix001.jpg

79gp2.jpg

1978grandprix002.jpg

79gp3.jpg

pics show exactly how it was when i bought it yesterday, and how it still is and will stay cept maybe wheels and tires

all original with 301 and th350 or th250, unsure which transmission it is but i dont see a big X shape indentation on the pan so i am pretty sure its a th350,
rolled over to 78,034 miles while i was driving it home after firing it up the first time since 1998 when it was parked and left in original owners garage outside of springfield about 12 miles out in the country, i put new gas in it and a good battery and put some gas down the throttle and it fired right up, quite a bit of rocker ticking for a while but came out of it completely after the freeway drive home, sitting dry for 8 years does that, heh

runs real smooth quiet running and driving car, everything is solid and intact, i did have to put a new master cylinder on it and i need to bleed it out real good still, otherwise i plan on 15" tires and wheels and wax it real good, nothing else really

i gave 500 for it

be a good get around car, it has rear frame rust out problem driver side so it wont last forever and i dont know how you could repair such a thing,

i started out with the 67-72 Gm trucks, these cars i dont know alot about i have had a couple later G bodies but nothing this old before, rare stuff here, i have never seen a grand prix so old here at all ever, not a single one, very much alien to me, i didnt know they were like this, i learned that 78 was the first year for the downsized ones(maybe they dont exist anymore because of the frame rot issue- even with always being garage kept)) and i like 78 because its my year and i practically grew up in a medium blue 78 chevy nova 2 door and have had a 77 baby blue one and a 74 ventura so far, and am looking for another nova, but i want to put coils under one like an A or G body and scrap the leaf type rear

comments ? questions ? suggestions ?

thanks

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Nice score Randy! I haven't see many with white interior.
How is the plastic inside? Hopefully its good since the car was stored inside.

What options does the car have? I see A/C and cruise.
oh, check for an aluminum rad support, thats an added bonus in some of these. :shock:

someone in Canada makes the replacement rear frame rails. Not sure how difficult they are to replace. If the frame is toast, I'd take a good look at the brake lines too.

Good luck and welcome! I did see those pictures over on yohoo too. :wink:

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
Can you please resize your avatar. If you do not know how send it to me and I will resize it for you and send it back.

If you click profile and go down to where you control your avatar it tells you what the maximium size of your avatar is supposed to be.

"Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB."

Vince

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
That was huge wasnt it? I'll get it, just cant do it at work. I was in a hury that day. It looks good ..........once, but not every time.

Now, the G/P would look great with a set of Ralley II's

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
well ive decided that i dont want/need to keep it really

i need another truck more than another car, plus the car needs a couple things done to it and i really dont have time to do anything, always am at work if not asleep or trying to eat and keep up with other things more pressing in life these days, the car would really be best as a parts car really, as it also has rear left side frame rail rot problem i didnt know about, but it is fixable somehow i know, you wouldnt know it by how nice the car looks and is, its too bad these cars have this problme, i guess i can understand why some of them are hard to find or never seen, ive seen lots of beater daily driver ones that were driven more than parked and they never seem to ever have had any frame rot issue, but this 78 sat untouched for 8 years in a garage til the day i got it, so that must have something to do with it,
either see them with so-so body condition and ok frame condition, or you see them the other way around,

i wired the choke open because it has the hot air tube vacuum type chokeand it was not opening very far and so that makes it hard to warm up and i dont like to have to sit and do that every morning and at 3 o clock when work lets out, so i parked it for good today after work, and plus the brakes need bled after i put the new master cylinder on it, and i cant do it alone and i dont have time for it anyways

posted it here http://chicago.craigslist.org/pts/168342839.html

so if anyone has any comments or ideas or suggestions or questions or anything then lemme know sometime, maybe some day when i have more time i will pick up a cutlass or something 78-87 years, if i can find one

i dont know about the rad support but the bumper frame is aluminum though

never heard of an aluminum rad support before, thats a new one on me hehe, and yes i had to replace the entire rear brake line too, all the way from the prop/combo valve back to the rear axle hose

the plastic is good no problems theres, all except on driver side the upper seat belt bolt cover thingy is dried

thanks
randy

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Wow. From the pics that looks like a real nice car. Too bad life gets in the way of playtime huh. I just got an S10 that I realized I don't need...

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
yeah too many and not enough time hehe

im more of a truck person than anything else

and evne with the cars i am more into the 77-up b bodies and 81-up f bodies and of course all the A and X bodies of the good years

this Gp is sold tmorrow it looks like

got down paymsnte tonight, rest tomorrow, the guy buying it is a friend of my brothers and once had an 80-something G body and wants another G body to drive and mess with, at least it is gonna be saved and not ruined or parted or anything like i was probably gonna end up doing to it maybe

if i had the time to

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor