'78 Grand Prix LSx swap + build thread + roof carnage

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
Finally starting to tear into the GP. Got a few other things going on, but I should be able to make some progress pretty quickly.
The car is a 1978 with viscount leather buckets, console shift, factory AM/FM/CB radio, and cornering lamps. So there's a few kinda rare options. The main reason I bought it was that it was 30 miles from my house, and I found out it's from Boise, ID, so it's rust free.

Here's the car as I bought it sitting at a dealer in Shakopee, MN
b240568ad3fe__1316288094000.jpg

3n23m33ob5Y25Q05U0b93fcdbaa98e18d103e.jpg

Here are the main problems:
The passenger door is tweaked around the mirror
GPproject006.jpg

Needs bumper fillers
GPproject004.jpg

And the BIG one, getting rid of the vinyl top and filling all the little holes! Ugh
GPproject010.jpg

I was hoping my Kodak zi8 video camera would take small enough still photos that I wouldn't have to resize them...Oh well. I'll start doing that next round so the thread is a little more viewer-friendly. Or just use my mobile phone..

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
Re: '78 Grand Prix LSx swap + build thread

So I was kinda excited to figure out some kind of solution to this vinyl top problem, and the rest got put on the back burner for now. Besides, I had to get the snowmobiles ready for winter, and work on my kid's Saturn too.

Here's what you will see f you take the top off:
GPproject001.jpg

And you'll need to take this piece off (It's spot welded on in about 7 places)
GPproject002.jpg

Then if you get the trim from a hard top car, you can see what kind of crafty work it's gonna take to get this to look decent
GPproject008.jpg

Also, the rear window frame needs a lot of attention just below the upper corners. And there are plenty more holes to fill! :roll:
GPproject003.jpg

GPproject009.jpg

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007

Anyways, there's lots of fun ahead!

Check out my growing pile of speed parts!

GPproject011.jpg

I guess I don't have a pic of the 5.3.
Here's the GP's buddy, Don Juan. He's a '63 Buick Riviera. Yeah, those are skulls on the taillights and yes, the eyes glow red
035e.jpg

I get to work on that one next Summer if I get the Poncho done by then.
If I don't get it done by then I'm going to be a bit irritated

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007

I figured out the drip rail is 1/2" wide, which might allow me to make the missing portion out of some 1/2" tubing that was laying in the corner of the garage..

c2a192dc0b8f__1320719571000.jpg

Or I might go to the Metal Supermarket and buy some lighter gauge 1/2" channel and make things much easier. It's still going to be a difficult process, but this should make it more tolerable

EDIT: I think it's actually 5/8", which is cool cuz I have some 5/8 channel already.
EDIT: No, it's 1/2". The ID of the stainless trim piece is 5/8", but the drip rail OD is only 1/2" for some reason

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI

triple LIKE! great start to another awesome project, when you get a chance look at the amazing job g-body_vet has done to his 78 gp!!!!!! :D

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007

O yeah baby I've been following along with his thread. It's cool to see him do it first, makes it easier for me!
The LS swap is gonna be a whole 'nother deal though

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City

might be able to help u with the bumper fillers, is there anything else u need? found a 78-79 GP at the yard so.....let me knw

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007

84cutlass383 said:
might be able to help u with the bumper fillers, is there anything else u need? found a 78-79 GP at the yard so.....let me knw

Yeah I still need a set of (sail panels??) the interior plastic panels that surround the quarter glass from a non-vinyl top car.
I'd be especially happy if they were saddle tan color, but I can certainly paint them too. Thanks for your help!
(the front GP emblem above the headlight and the glove box nameplate too, if they're nice)

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007

Oh! Just figured out how to put a photo in my signature! (after all these years :blam: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor