78 malibu brake upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2006
Bellevue, Iowa
With more motor and power and torque I'm having problems holding it in place and stoppping. All brakes are stock. What kind of upgrades can I do? A 1-2" drop in the front would also be a consideration in the process. Just asking to see what things work and what doesn't.
thanks.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
There's a ton of possibilities. The only question is cost. SSBC makes an upgraded rotor and pad kit that runs around $200 for the front. Summit racing has those. It's called ShortStop.

Also, a cheap upgrade for the back brakes is simply replacing the wheel cylinders with a set from an S-10 with manual brakes. These are larger than stock and bolt right in.

Also, I 've heard you could use A-arms, spindles and 11" disks from a 99-03 2wd S-10 up front. Not sure on the procedures on this, though.

There's all sorts of possibilities depending on the budget and exactly what you are looking for.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=10535#10535
Check out this thread. I've got lots more info if u want it. I run 13" Corvette C5 dual piston up front. A friend is running the 6 piston monoblocks from the 06 Z06, and the Blazer ZQ8 is prob the best upgrade when u consider effort, money, and results.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
humm seems more difficult for me :(

marine05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2006
Bellevue, Iowa
Like most people, I'd like to keep the cost relativaly low. But I do know it costs money to have the toy. Especially if I want to play with it.
It seems like no one makes a drop spindle for the 78. Unless you go to 79+ with new rotors & calipers. And on one site it looked like you may have to replace the outer tie rod ends also. Or is there a more reasonable way of going about it?

marine05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2006
Bellevue, Iowa
(Also, a cheap upgrade for the back brakes is simply replacing the wheel cylinders with a set from an S-10 with manual brakes. These are larger than stock and bolt right in.)

What is a 's10 with manuel brakes'? I thought they all had power brakes? What years are you talking about?

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
A majority of the s-10's did have power brakes. However some
82-93(?) "bare bones" s-10's (4 cylinders, stick, no AC, maybe a radio) could be had with no power brakes. Some of these were used as cheap fleet trucks in the 80's.

Regardless, since there is no brake booster, a larger wheel cylinder would be needed to help make up the difference. And best of all they are around the same price as the power brake pieces.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
$10 or so for the manual brake S10 wheel cylinders. If they say they r the same, then walk away. It does offer a noticeable difference. Its worth it.

78s are better off with the 79 up spindle. Easier to find the upgrades that way. But the Blazer ZQ8 with factory dual piston is probably the cheapest and easiest way to upgrade the fronts. Its just hard to find in the yards. Just grab the spindles and everything outboard of that. U can always upgrade to a larger brake later and still use that spindle. BTW, no more packing wheel bearings with that system either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor