78 malibu factory 4 speed w/bench seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Hi, I just joined recently and slowing learning my way around and thanks to the help of the nice people on this site, I've ended up here. I posted some of this in the section for new users. But here some back ground on my malibu.I got a loan from my grandfather to buy the car for $1200.00. It was silver w/silver top. A buddy and I restored this car 20+ years ago, after a bad break up my ex had a few people sabotage my car. They did this months later, so at the time I had no idea that, that's what had happen. They apparently put something (Sugar maybe, ping ping pong ball?) in the tank, ran at idle but when you would try and drive it it was miss so bad you couldn't do more than 5mph. luckily I parked the car, because they had cut the rear break line and wrapped sparklers around the carb. The car has sat rotting away until about two weeks ago, I just finished building my garage, figured it was time to start a frame off restore. The plan is for an LS swap with a pro-touring handling package. Heading up to Pa next Monday to take a tour of UMI performance facility and to pick up my suspension kit. Dropping the frame off to get powder coated on Tue.
Here's a few photos of the progress so far. I plan to keep all the part numbers if any of you are interested. Hope you enjoy and thanks again for having me here.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Subscribed!

Reactions: 1 user

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
I'm in.Looks good.:cool:

Attachments

• 81.jpeg
    81.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 387

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Thanks guys, gals, and the rest of you :). I'll be making updates as they happen. Hopefully this will be a fun project. I don't know a great deal about LS swaps, so this will be a learning experience for me and hopefully it'll provide some answers to others who may have some questions.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
ls1tech.com has literally everything you need to know. It helped me immensely on my Series 2 install. The biggest question is the wiring: can/are you doing it yourself, sending it out, or buying a pre-made, standalone? This decision is also influenced by your transmission choice and computer ability for tuning.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Thanks, I'll check out ls1tech.com. Can I do the wiring? Probably. I repair electric fork lifts for the last 15 + years. I've done a ton of wiring and reading wiring diagrams. Do I want to wire it ? Nope..I hate wiring ...lol.....Actually the plan for right now, which is subject to change with the wind. Is to purchase a turnkey package. Unless I can find an LS with really low miles with all the components ,then I might go that route. I'll be sticking with a manual trans. I have a buddy who works in IT and loves cars. He's pretty slick with anything dealing with computers. I'm taking him with me for the UMI tour. Little does he know I"ll be putting him to work at some point..muhahahah

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor