78 monte carlo 305 no heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsez

n00b
Feb 3, 2018
Hello everyone.Newbie here. i just bought a 78 monte carlo v8 305 and the car has no heat. The blower motor works on all speeds but its just blowing cold air. I let it run for 10-15 minutes and the upper hose is hot..I didnt check the bottom hose. I didnt check the heater core lines either as of yet. I was wondering if possibly the thermostat is bad? Should I change that first and see if that does the trick? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Check to make sure the lines are hooked up and that there is no blockage. Even if the thermostat was running cold, you'd still have some kind of heat. If it's an ac car there is a vacuum operated heater control valve as well.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Coolant level could be low enough where it doesn’t get pumped to the heater core. If there is enough coolant in the system grab the heater core lines, if one is hot and the other is cold, then the core is plugged and needs changed out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bigsez

n00b
Feb 3, 2018
I took the radiator cap off and the radiator is filled with coolant. I will check the lines to make sure if one is hot and the other is cold

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Coolant level could be low enough where it doesn’t get pumped to the heater core. If there is enough coolant in the system grab the heater core lines, if one is hot and the other is cold, then the core is plugged and needs changed out.

Agreed! Do a thorough diagnosis first before turning a single wrench. Both intake and outlet hoses should be hot. If the outlet (or intake for that matter) is not hot, then check the Heater Valve as Bracketchev1221 and PontiacGP stated. If that checks out ok you should check the mix door in the car and make sure it's moving correctly from Cold to Hot.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bowtiebutler956

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2017
Could just be a bad heater control valve. If the heater hoses are hooked up, and the system is full of coolant, its likely juster the heater valve. Less than $20 at the local parts house, and installs in under 10 minutes. Coolant should flow through the heater core even if your thermostat is stuck shut. (although that wouldn't be good for the health of your engine!)

Matt

bigsez

n00b
Feb 3, 2018
Thank goodness for you guys .I checked the heater control valve . There is what appears to be an arm on the top side that was pushed all the way in and rusted .I pried it back with a screwdriver and bam the heat came right on .I am going to take your advice and swap it out Matt . I cant thank you guys enough .I will post pics of the car this week

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor