78 Monte Carlo F-41 suspension question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott5982

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2017
Hi everyone!! Just made this account. So nice to see that there is so many other people out there with the passion to rebuild these cars. Let me give you all some background about what we have going on. So my dad and I have been buying, selling, rebuilding corvettes for what seems like a lifetime now. Always have really been into C1s and C2 (big block cars). We are not really into aftermarket parts. We usually just try to rebuild everything back to stock. So anyways, a friend of my dads had told him about a factory 4 speed 78 monte that was sitting out in a field becoming a lawn ornament. My dad and I was sure that it was not an original factory 4 speed V8 since the low production numbers on the specific build. Well we did our due diligence and found out that it was indeed what it was supposed to be. We have the car now and are starting a complete frame off restoration. My question is 2 part....First does anyone have any specific production numbers on V8 4 speeds? I cant find it. I can only find 4 speed numbers of around 14XX some cars but what I keep seeing is that 4 speeds were V6 cars. My second question is this.....the car has the upgraded f41 suspension package and I cant seem to find out what the factory shocks are supposed to be....The car we have has coil overs in the front and gas shocks in the rear. Is the coil over shocks in the front part of the factory suspension package or were these added later? Thank you guys and nice to be a new member of this community.....

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Welcome to the site. Some pics could be useful (we like pics.) I can't help with the first part, but I'll have a go on the second. F41 cars just had a bigger front bar, a rear bar, the springs seemed to be more weight based (but I could be wrong.) For your front suspension, just like earlier A bodies, is just the typical spring/shock set up. Front shocks are the same for '68-'88 A/G bodies per replacements, nothing special for F41. As for the rear, just like the front but shocks fit '64-'88 per replacements. Unless the goal is going original I'd up grade the suspension with better parts & add brace bars from other '78-'88 models. Others here should have more input on the suspension.

Scott5982

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2017
Thanks for the reply.....I was really thinking that even though it had the upgraded suspension that it still didn't have factory coil overs on the front. Had plenty of vettes with factory suspension upgrades and none of them ever had special shocks but just wasn't sure if would be the same. Still kinda a G-body newbie.....I'll try n get some pics of the car posted soon. As of right now we got the frame blasted and painted and have most of the front suspension blasted, getting ready to paint it in the next few days. We're trying to keep everything factory original...found out an interesting fact just yesterday.....the rear hubs are aluminum....had no clue that was an original thing.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Aluminum drums was used on some cars up into the early '80's. They're hit & miss on finding good ones still on a car.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Aluminum trunk lids were also available but not very common.
On the F41, my understanding is that the package consisted of thicker front bar, rear bar, slightly stiffer springs, and a 4bolt top quick ratio steering box. I don't think the shocks are anything special/specific. The coilovers and air shocks you have are certainly not stock.
We'd all love to see a build thread if you'd care to share.
...and welcome.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Aluminum trunk lids were also available but not very common.
On the F41, my understanding is that the package consisted of thicker front bar, rear bar, slightly stiffer springs, and a 4bolt top quick ratio steering box. I don't think the shocks are anything special/specific. The coilovers and air shocks you have are certainly not stock.
We'd all love to see a build thread if you'd care to share.
...and welcome.
On 78-80 Monte's aluminum trunk is standard and steel is rare. Out of 24 we found one steel trunk lid. I think I have a nice set of tail lights for a 78.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was really thinking that even though it had the upgraded suspension that it still didn't have factory coil overs on the front.
If the front shocks look like this they are Gabriel overload shocks
gabriel_34057.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On 78-80 Monte's aluminum trunk is standard and steel is rare. Out of 24 we found one steel trunk lid. I think I have a nice set of tail lights for a 78.
It's funny that when I was younger I had a few 78'-80' Montes and never once did I consider what the decklid was made out of.

sportriderOK

Greasemonkey
Mar 3, 2016
Mannford, OK
Not sure about production numbers, but I had an original 305/4 speed 78 Monte Carlo way back when. I think all the 4 speeds I've seen in person have been V8s.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
We had a stick shift car once for race car parts. My dad took the pedals out and junked the rest of the tub. He end up tossing the clutch pedal and kept the brake pedal. Never thought about taking the stick parts off that car till after it was gone. Wish I had that stuff now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor