78 vs 79 front spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grnmnstr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2017
NJ
1978 Grand LeMans. The "odd" year.

I am looking ahead as far as brakes, wheels, etc. on the front end.

I see the outer diameter of the spindle is different from 78 to 79. The inner is the same, thus the need for different bearing sizes, on the outer.

Are the 78 and 79 spindle knuckles interchangeable??
If they are, are there any issues then with ball joints, steering, control arms, etc.

I am NOT looking for any drop or lift spindles, just stock.

Hopefully someone out there has done this already and can share, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1978 Grand LeMans. The "odd" year.

I am looking ahead as far as brakes, wheels, etc. on the front end.

I see the outer diameter of the spindle is different from 78 to 79. The inner is the same, thus the need for different bearing sizes, on the outer.

Are the 78 and 79 spindle knuckles interchangeable??
If they are, are there any issues then with ball joints, steering, control arms, etc.

I am NOT looking for any drop or lift spindles, just stock.

Hopefully someone out there has done this already and can share, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Yep, the spindles are fully interchangeable with other years of G bodies, absolutely no issues whatsoever. Swap and reconnect, and enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I have a set on a rolling chassis. If you bring your 78 spindles and rotors, you can have these.

I just want to keep the chassis mobile.

I'm also in Central NJ.

PM me.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor