79 Buick Century Wagon Ls swap?

TanHew

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2022
Hey guys, recently picked up a pretty clean and original 79 Buick wagon, has a 301 Pontiac w/ turbo 350 in it.

Plan on a turbo Ls swap in the future, just looking for opinions on 5.3 vs 6.0, what to look for/stay away from for years of those motors.

Shooting for the 500-600hp range, just a fun street car/ tire smoke machine. Looking for a reliable easy to use setup so not worried too much about budget.

Also looking for opinions on rear ends, gearing, suspension upgrades, should I be bracing frame extra? Etc.

Transmission recommendations?

Any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 83C4AD33-3B60-48C8-A8ED-9E4988CC84F5.jpeg
    83C4AD33-3B60-48C8-A8ED-9E4988CC84F5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 2BEC7815-E08F-42BD-903D-00A81D26205B.jpeg
    2BEC7815-E08F-42BD-903D-00A81D26205B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 18, 2014
Some nice wagons coming out of the woodwork lately thay are getting bastardized now... :confused:

Good news: they're out there.

Bad news: less and less of them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice wagon! Welcome aboard, Have you thought of keeping it Buick powered? Although, Buick performance parts could get rather costly. Everybody and their mothers seem to be going with LS engines these days.

TanHew

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2022
Nice wagon! Welcome aboard, Have you thought of keeping it Buick powered? Although, Buick performance parts could get rather costly. Everybody and their mothers seem to be going with LS engines these days.
Hadn’t thought about it much, was thinking Ls for ease of accessibility and so many performance parts available. Also can make a pile of Hp out of a stock(ish) motor and can make a fairly affordable 500+ hp vehicle.
But what were you thinking? Like a 400 or 455 thrown in it?
Not planning on doing a thing interior or body wise. Going for the little bit of a sleeper look. Also want the option say one day could put it back to the way it is and have a original car. Not cutting up the body or interior.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
500+ hp from a NA LS is not a friendly street driver imho. Everyone has a different opinion of what a ‘street driver’ is though, so how do you intend to use it? How many miles per year do you intend to drive it?

And are you aware of the LS tax?

• Agree

ck80

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 18, 2014
. Also can make a pile of Hp out of a stock(ish) motor and can make a fairly affordable 500+ hp vehicle.
No such thing as a fairly affordable 500+ hp gbody, not if you expect the thing to be drivable and reliable.

TanHew

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2022
500+ hp from a NA LS is not a friendly street driver imho. Everyone has a different opinion of what a ‘street driver’ is though, so how do you intend to use it? How many miles per year do you intend to drive it?

And are you aware of the LS tax?
Yes, and yes that’s why I was planning a 5.3 or 6L turbo. Going to get 5,000km a year max, realistically 2-3k. Going to be a weekend cruiser. With of course the odd burnout and small pulls on the street. Not dragging it and not going to be bagged everyday.

TanHew

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2022
No such thing as a fairly affordable 500+ hp gbody, not if you expect the thing to be drivable and reliable.
My “affordable” and your “affordable” must be a little different. Not too worried about budget, but also not sinking 40g into it. Was thinking 10-15g should get a guy honest and reliable 500 with supporting drivetrain and suspension.
Correct me if I’m wrong but that is doable as far as I can tell.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My “affordable” and your “affordable” must be a little different. Not too worried about budget, but also not sinking 40g into it. Was thinking 10-15g should get a guy honest and reliable 500 with supporting drivetrain and suspension.
Correct me if I’m wrong but that is doable as far as I can tell.
$10-15k on the drivetrain? If yes, then ‘and then some’ haha.

Was your previous post indicating a turbo? If yes, then get the best running motor you can find - 4.8 or 5.3 will be just fine. Gen 4 stuff is a better program always, but not necessary.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot Mike's Montes P-S-T Southside Machine Performance UMI Performance

Contact Admin@GBodyForum.com for info on becoming a sponsor