79 Buick Century Wagon Ls swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanHew

n00b
Apr 14, 2022
Hey guys, recently picked up a pretty clean and original 79 Buick wagon, has a 301 Pontiac w/ turbo 350 in it.

Plan on a turbo Ls swap in the future, just looking for opinions on 5.3 vs 6.0, what to look for/stay away from for years of those motors.

Shooting for the 500-600hp range, just a fun street car/ tire smoke machine. Looking for a reliable easy to use setup so not worried too much about budget.

Also looking for opinions on rear ends, gearing, suspension upgrades, should I be bracing frame extra? Etc.

Transmission recommendations?

Any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 83C4AD33-3B60-48C8-A8ED-9E4988CC84F5.jpeg
    83C4AD33-3B60-48C8-A8ED-9E4988CC84F5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 190
  • 2BEC7815-E08F-42BD-903D-00A81D26205B.jpeg
    2BEC7815-E08F-42BD-903D-00A81D26205B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Some nice wagons coming out of the woodwork lately thay are getting bastardized now... :confused:

Good news: they're out there.

Bad news: less and less of them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice wagon! Welcome aboard, Have you thought of keeping it Buick powered? Although, Buick performance parts could get rather costly. Everybody and their mothers seem to be going with LS engines these days.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Nice wagon....wish I could find similar anywhere close to me.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
500+ hp from a NA LS is not a friendly street driver imho. Everyone has a different opinion of what a ‘street driver’ is though, so how do you intend to use it? How many miles per year do you intend to drive it?

And are you aware of the LS tax?

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
. Also can make a pile of Hp out of a stock(ish) motor and can make a fairly affordable 500+ hp vehicle.
No such thing as a fairly affordable 500+ hp gbody, not if you expect the thing to be drivable and reliable.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My “affordable” and your “affordable” must be a little different. Not too worried about budget, but also not sinking 40g into it. Was thinking 10-15g should get a guy honest and reliable 500 with supporting drivetrain and suspension.
Correct me if I’m wrong but that is doable as far as I can tell.
$10-15k on the drivetrain? If yes, then ‘and then some’ haha.

Was your previous post indicating a turbo? If yes, then get the best running motor you can find - 4.8 or 5.3 will be just fine. Gen 4 stuff is a better program always, but not necessary.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Suspension - I have no recommendations. Trans - either stick with TH350 and get it built or get a 4L80. A properly rebuilt 4L80 in stock form will take 700-800 without issue. Put a shift kit in it and forget about it.

Grab one of Happel’s ‘Best cam’ or a SS2 Elgin, PAC 1218’s, an S366 clone and 500whp will be a breeze and easy on the driveline. Get a Holley, MS3 and Microsquirt for the trans, or an entry level Haltech and a trans controller for engine management. The Holley Term X Max will be the cheapest option (it’s the reason I have one - yes I’m cheap/not wealthy/a penny pincher, etc - you pick ;) ).

I’m a firm believer in recommending stuff that works and that you can work on.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A SBE LS is the wild card in the equation. Do you completely rebuild it? Or run it? Stock LS’s have an inherent issue that leads to an easy decision if you aren’t scared to swap when needed. The issue is the oil system and what can happen to the cam bearings. If you decide to upgrade all of it, then you’re into machine shop $ , rotating parts, etc. And at that point the budget of the SBE motor loses the adjective of ‘budget’.

And, the worst part, the possibility of the rebuilt LS that goes badly. If that occurs, then you have a pile of thrown away money and still need to spend more.

I operate with concept of ‘no love’ for my engine only because the next replacement is another $200-500 from being in the car. My current motor, that I hate to say I’m beginning to have some attachment to, I got as a core for $250. It was taken out because it had low pressure when warmed up. The issue was the valley cover bolts were loose causing the DOD solenoid seals to leak (I knew this when I bought it.) I checked all of the bearings including cam bearings, put in a new oil pump, head gaskets, head bolts (splurged for ARP bolts), lifters (cheap Sealed Power), PAC springs and SS2 cam and intake gaskets. Total investment about $950. I make close to a 1000hp with it, it regularly spins to 7500 rpm’s and doesn’t use any oil and doesn’t leak any either. Almost forgot, pulled the pistons to open the ring gap- they all were over .024” and I pot them right back in.

I have a 4.8 waiting for the inevitable. I can swap an engine easily in a day.

But at 500-600hp that occasionally sees that HP I’m sure this motor would last for another 25000 miles or longer.

Long post for me, take it with a grain of salt. I know alot of guys aren’t good with the ‘no love for the motor’ program, but………..

to each their own.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Dario Giaga, a shop owner local to me here, and the builder of the crazy supercharged LS powered Mini Cooper. He built a Malibu on the ultra cheap in his YouTube channel. I would have a look there, I think it was $3-5000 all in with the car. Might get you started on what you are going to have to do and give you some inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor