79 Buick Century Wagon Ls swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Lol ive seen that mini, he was just at Ls fest with it! Crazy car Forsure! I actually have a buddy in lethbridge that knows him and was at Ls fest with him! Small world lol
Very small world.

His build on the Malibu is pretty ghetto, but it shows what you can do for dirty cheap, if you want to go that way.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hadn’t thought about it much, was thinking Ls for ease of accessibility and so many performance parts available. Also can make a pile of Hp out of a stock(ish) motor and can make a fairly affordable 500+ hp vehicle.
But what were you thinking? Like a 400 or 455 thrown in it?
Not planning on doing a thing interior or body wise. Going for the little bit of a sleeper look. Also want the option say one day could put it back to the way it is and have a original car. Not cutting up the body or interior.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the attraction of LS engines. Availability for one, the ease of finding parts, performance and otherwise, plus the fact that you're able to squeeze out a considerable amount of horsepower with little effort. So, it's more of a practical swap compared to a 400-455 Buick. I guess i was thinking more old school and uniqueness over practicality. It would take significantly more money to extract high horsepower out of a Buick engine compared to an LS.
But, on the other hand. A Buick GN turbo 6 would also be a cool powerplant to go into your wagon.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Don't get me wrong, I understand the attraction of LS engines. Availability for one, the ease of finding parts, performance and otherwise, plus the fact that you're able to squeeze out a considerable amount of horsepower with little effort. So, it's more of a practical swap compared to a 400-455 Buick. I guess i was thinking more old school and uniqueness over practicality. It would take significantly more money to extract high horsepower out of a Buick engine compared to an LS.
But, on the other hand. A Buick GN turbo 6 would also be a cool powerplant to go into your wagon.
I went off on the LS swap info because he said he was interested, but that car would be way cooler with the original 301 and a turbo in the trunk (outta sight) , or I should say under the wagon. There is a ton of room for it. And it would be cheaper too if, big if, the 301 is in good shape.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I went off on the LS swap info because he said he was interested, but that car would be way cooler with the original 301 and a turbo in the trunk (outta sight) , or I should say under the wagon. There is a ton of room for it. And it would be cheaper too if, big if, the 301 is in good shape.
But the 301 (except the old turbo trans am pace cars) didn't fare all that well. The internals were darned weak, everything from the block itself to the rotating assembly. You'd need to grab a tta 301 and freshen it then add more boost etc. Otherwise it'd be incredibly short lived I expect. The TTAs were a different animal with lots of factory mods to the bottom end and block that the regular 301s didn't get

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I recall driving a brand new Firebird 301 turbo. From my hazy recollection, the car was a bit of a slug.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I recall driving a brand new Firebird 301 turbo. From my hazy recollection, the car was a bit of a slug.
You'd be right, from my hazy recollection. Part of the problem was Pontiac was underrating the last of the 400s, so when on paper they tried making the 301 appear close in numbers, it was a disappointment. But at least it had potential with the beffing up of internals

Weren't they 16 second cars?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
400 Pontiac would fall right in where the 301 sits. A few performance mods and you could have something in the 400Hp neighbourhood. Good enough for some burnouts and a few street pulls. The Pontiac stuff should be easier to find than Buick performance parts. You could probably build a strong turbo 350 for it, or even a good overdrive transmission, since gas isn't getting any cheaper. Just a thought.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Excellent point, but remember that Pontiac’s 1st concern was emissions. That was blow through setup IIRC.

Open this up with no regards for emissions and I think it would be a viable option for 400+whp. But it requires careful tuning which is something I’m not capable of without the aid of FI.

I believe Turbo Zach has been down this path. I make it sound easy, but…….it’s not.

And for a 500whp goal the LS with a small turbo becomes a so much easier option.

• Agree

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
How did you make out with your wagon. I have a Buick Century with Buick 455, 200-4r and am now doing a second one with a 6.0 200-4r swap.

• Agree

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Don't know how I missed this one.. waiting to see the results.

Some people should gain some knowledge before being allowed to spew their uneducated sh*t on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor