79 cutlass calais "re-restore"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMSC27

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2013
Delmar, delaware
i say "re-restore," because my dad had restored it in the mid to late 90's, into the early 2000's.. she sat in the woods from 2004 until this past september, when i obtained the car (after 8or 9 years of telling him i was going to off him for it LOL). when i got it home, i did the usual "must-do's" like clean the carb, an oil change, new plugs, fresh gas and rebuilt the starter. when she was parked, there was nothing wrong with her, except a dead battery and an empty gas tank. since i've gotten it, it's been a semi-nightmare, from sitting so long. it took me a couple days to get her up, running and moving, between work and the girlfriend.. but the first time it fired up, my childhood flashed before my eyes. a lot of my mechanical knowledge was learned on, in and around this car, so it's clearly an important part of my life and i'm extremely excited to dig my hands into her and make her better and stronger than ever before. i'll start by listing everything that was done the first time she was restored, then list my plans, what little i've done in the past month and some recent pics (i'll upload some of the original restoration pics when i gather them all and scan them).

original resto:
- jasper 305 reman longblock (.030 over, .010 under cut crank)
- crane cam
- edelbrock air gap
- 600cfm edelbrock
- flowtech shorty's
- 2-1/2" true duals with raptor mufflers
- accel "supercoil"
- TH350 to replace the 200R
- B&M 3500 stall converter
- B&M shift kit
- external trans cooler
- floor shifter swap
- cavalier bucket seats
- autometer tach with built in shift light
- a couple small audio upgrades (most notably, the SN95 mustang "460 surround sound" tweeters in the headliner)
- new frame from an 81 monte donor car my dad picked up
- frame was blasted and painted with POR15
- new polyurethane bushings everywhere
- stainless steel brake lines/aluminum fuel and trans cooler lines
- 3 way adjustable shocks in the front/gabriel air shocks in the rear (was set up as a self contained system with a lincoln "prc" compressor
- grand national rear with a 2.whatever gear set (gained posi, lost the 4.11's a couple months later when the pinion bearing went and shredded a couple teeth, so he went back to a stock gear set)
- boxed lower control arms
- all the rust repair/body work/paint
- 80's firebird (or trans am, i don't know which) spoiler

i'm sure there are things i'm missing here, but that's all i can really think of, without walking around the car

things i've done so far:
- the usual things to get a neglected car running
- replaced the water pump/alt belt 4 times (couldn't figure out why it kept shredding, but seems to have fixed itself)
- a little carb/timing tinkering
- new front tires
- hollowed the clugged cats

and now my future plans:
- AR torque thrust II's (16x6 fronts, 16x9 rears.. should give it a really mean stance with the right tires)
- new 1/4's, rockers, doors and deck lid
- pull the body and redo the frame.. the POR15 didn't hold up worth a damn
- new rear bumper. mine is falling apart at the mounts.. another aluminum bumper is going to be nearly impossible to find :(
- boost.. first on the 305, then a bigger turbo for the forged 355 i'm collecting parts for
- TKO 600 trans (this i already have. was going to use it for my 4cyl TC, but i'd like to get the cutlass finished by spring. the bird won't be done for at least a year, because of the plans i have for it, so i have plenty of time to get another 1)
- 8.8 rear out of a turbo coupe with moser axles and a locker (i have an empty housing and a mark 7 disk brake upgrade already (11" rotors and dual piston calipers), just need axles and a locker)
- tubular control arms for the rear. i started building a set for my TC, i'll just cut them down a little to work with this car
- 13" front brake upgrade with wilwood 4 piston calipers (already have the calipers, just need rotors)
- new shocks, possibly coilovers on all 4 corners
- front swaybar out of 1 of my TC's (i have 4 of them just laying around. there's only a 1/2" difference in overall width and will fit perfectly into the g-body mounting locations on the frame)
- some minor interior work, nothing crazy or out of the ordinary.. new seats are a must

anything else, i'm either not decided on or haven't put much thought into, yet.. so for now, that's my "to-do" list.. so now, some pics (even though i already posted them in my noob thread)

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Looks like a good project (again), sounds similar to my car, don't want it to sit that long either. Also didn't have much luck with POR15 but who knows. Ended up using some decent enamel spray paint and it has held up very well.

SMSC27

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2013
Delmar, delaware
Thanks and if you need any tips or pointers on boosting your car, i can more than likely help.. i have quite a few turbo smallblock builds under my belt (2 personally owned by me, not including this car).. i'm glad there are more calais' out there than i thought.. i've never seen another 1 in person in all the 27 years i've been breathing lol i'll be starting my turbo setup as soon as i pull the exhaust out from under my turbocoupe and get my welder out of my storage unit.. i've been desperately looking for a new shop in my area, but have yet to find anything cheaper than 950/mo, which i just flat out can't afford to shell out, if i want to accomplish anything :(

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
SMSC27 said:
Thanks and if you need any tips or pointers on boosting your car, i can more than likely help.. i have quite a few turbo smallblock builds under my belt (2 personally owned by me, not including this car).. i'm glad there are more calais' out there than i thought.. i've never seen another 1 in person in all the 27 years i've been breathing lol i'll be starting my turbo setup as soon as i pull the exhaust out from under my turbocoupe and get my welder out of my storage unit.. i've been desperately looking for a new shop in my area, but have yet to find anything cheaper than 950/mo, which i just flat out can't afford to shell out, if i want to accomplish anything :(

I know what you mean with the high cost of a lot of things. There is a shop down here that looks like a good start-up, but then I saw the price tag...

SMSC27

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2013
Delmar, delaware
That's my biggest hang-up right now, otherwise this car, 2 of my 3 birds and my sonoma would all be in pieces lol.. i'm going to post an ad on craigslist tomorrow, that i'm looking for a 2 car garage for personal use.. i can sneak in an occasional customer car now and then, to help it pay for itself.. i have to do a cage, subframe connectors with jacking rail supports, a minitub and some suspension work on an 05 gto race car for a guy, which could pay for a few months rent, at the right price.. but we'll see what pops up.. in the meantime, i'm stuck driving the cutlass everyday, instead of my 4cyl turbo coupe (which packs a much mightier punch than this lazy 305 LOL)

Pit

Apprentice
Oct 13, 2013
Brussels, Belgium, EU
Nice car!

I love those cars called with the name of a french city, Calais, Monte Carlo, Deauville...

It must be so exotic to you, and so close to us in Europe!
For us those cars are exotics with common names, for you, common cars and exotic names!
For exemple, "caprice" is the french word for whim or tantrum, not really what you expect from a car!
Audi do it good these years, e-tron (étron in french), their electric stuff cars, means horse sh*t... :rofl:

See you

SMSC27

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2013
Delmar, delaware
to be honest, i never even looked at it like that.. naturally, when someone says monte carlo, i think of the car lol

SMSC27

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2013
Delmar, delaware
so, there's been a change of plans.. i sold all the turbo stuff i pulled off my tc to put on this car.. i sold it because i'm just going to have to upgrade when the 355 goes in, anyway, so why not just start with the setup i'm going to end up with, anyway.. moving up to a 73 trim ball bearing turbo, tial MV-R 44mm wastegate, tial Q 50mm bov and 2 intercoolers.. a small, water to air intercooler for making passes at the track during the summer, which will be mounted between the new 31"w x 12"h x 3" thick air to air intercooler and the carb.. i figure that way i can still get my air intake temps way down on the hottest of summer days, with some ice water in the tank.. that mixed with running a mixture of premium/methanol, should make for a very happy 355 with 15-18lbs of boost, in the end

and as far as the 355 goes, i have my parts list all lined up and sorted out.. first i'll list what i have so far, then what i'm looking to blow money on, in the near future..

i have:
- 4 bolt main block, already bored .020, setting sent to the machine shop once i get closer to assembly, to go an additional .010
- DSS "E series" flat tops with valve reliefs
- SCAT pro stock I-beam rods
- Pro Comp 210cc heads with stainless valves (just got these a couple days ago, practically stole them for $280 off a buddy of mine)
- Pro Comp 1.7 rockers (i bought this for my camaro about 8 years ago, sold the car and tossed them in a box)
- ARP head studs (i bought this for my camaro about 8 years ago, sold the car and tossed them in a box)
- using the intake and carb off the 305
- petronix flame thrower distributor and coil (i bought this for my camaro about 8 years ago, sold the car and tossed them in a box)

i'm looking to get:
- either a SCAT, Eagle or K1 Tech forged crank
- custom grind, turbo specific roller cam
- linked roller rockers
- MSD 6AL

anything else, i still haven't decided on.. i have time to figure it out lol

BuWaGone

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
Damn, I wanted to see you turbo the 305. I basically plan to do the same set up as you planned. I'm plan to put on a GT45 ebay turbo, 69mm, on the stock 305 in my Malibu wagon then building a 355 to support bigger boost. I really wanted to see what kinda horsepower you could get outta that 305, since I won't be abled to do mine til summer 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor