79 Cutlass Wiring Harness Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipties

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2022
hoping some olds enthusiasts can help me work through the wiring on my 79 cutlass. It's a 350, no ECU, HEI ignition, manual choke, auto trans. If you need any more info lmk, that should be the important stuff.

the car was a victim of hillbilly wiring and there was a fire, so I got a whole new harness/fuse block and ripped out all the old hacked up, burnt wire.

the new harness I got isn't burnt but still looks questionable so I wanna make sure everything is in order...

there are 7 total wires coming from the block.
View attachment 193767
1 is the orange dist BAT plug. Already got rid of the splice and fixed it.
2 is the orange wire to starter solenoid.
3 is the red wire to starter from fuse block.
4 is another red wire from block, it's spliced into 4 wires:
One goes to starter
One is the high fan connection
The last two are alternator connections
View attachment 193768
5, 6 and 7 all go on the alternator loom to other connections/sensors.

Is that 1-to-4 factory? It was duct taped so I'm guessing no, but it seems like all 4 were necessary in the harness so idk. The old harness looks identical including the taped 1-to-4 piece.

The only wiring to the starter are these two.
View attachment 193769
The rest of the harness is unmolested and in good shape, I've cleaned all grounds, and got new + and - battery cables. the column wiring is in good shape too. new distributor, plugs and plug wires too.

If anything looks wrong please let me know. i wanna get this harness in the car soon and wanna be sure its 100%

TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor