79 cutlass with chevy motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoocutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2010
I'm thinking about buying this car, its a 79 cutlass 2 door with a inline 6 from a nova. The guy said its got a turbo 350 transmission, does anyone know if thats a 4 speed or 3 speed? and also what else should I ask this dude? he says hes driven the car to southern jersey (im in new york) back and forth and it rides fine. Mechanically speaking is there anything else I should ask him about?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
If it is a TH350 it would be a 3 speed. Some 78-80 Cutlasses in the US came with a 305 Chevy engine why would he put in a I6? Ask him anything else has been modified on the car.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
It's amazing that motor even fits the car. I would have assumed the straight six would have been too long for the engine compartment. Got any pictures?

voodoocutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2010
no pics but hes says the interior and exterior are looking fine so I will have to take a look at it first

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
TAKE PICS! we wanna see this I6 swap.

voodoocutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2010
I definitly will if I end up buying the car, Ive got an 86 that wont start after I replaced the plugs, I put in a new cap coil and rotor and wires and still nothing! As soon as the car starts up I am finishing up the interior and its goneeee

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
wonder what mounts he cobbled up to put in a straight 6. God I hope he didn't weld the mounts to the frame ...

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
86Cutlass383SR said:
wonder what mounts he cobbled up to put in a straight 6. God I hope he didn't weld the mounts to the frame ...

I think in the trucks, they used the same ones as sbc's. So he may have been able to just get away with sbc g body mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor