79 elcamino rear end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captjohnie

n00b
Feb 12, 2015
I am building a 79 and have built a 300+ HP motor with a rebuilt 350TH transmission with some upgrades to the shifting,my problem is it still has the 7 1/2 inch rear end and with that much power there is no way that I can take it easy on it to save the rear so it has got to go, the question is what rear will work with out breaking the bank and what all will I need to do it [what will fit the best] 8 1/2 or a 9 inch ford? I understand a 80's model mustang will fit? if so what will I need to hook it up rite and I need it to be a posi. or limited slip. just need to know what I need to get it done correctly thanks

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Don't be too hard on that 7.5. We rebuilt the 7.5 rear in my son's 81 Malibu...stuffed in an Auburn posi unit with 4:10 gear. Motor is a 355 dynoed at 375 horse...he's been beating on it for about 3 years now with no issue. Trans is an old TH350 I had with a 2500 stall and very firm shift kit.

captjohnie

n00b
Feb 12, 2015
Don't be too hard on that 7.5. We rebuilt the 7.5 rear in my son's 81 Malibu...stuffed in an Auburn posi unit with 4:10 gear. Motor is a 355 dynoed at 375 horse...he's been beating on it for about 3 years now with no issue. Trans is an old TH350 I had with a 2500 stall and very firm shift kit.
thanks will consider that, trying to get it finished up in time for our annual car show at the end of April so may have to go with the 7.5 for now.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I did the same with my 7.5" years ago, I installed an Auburn posi with a 373 gear and ran that behind a healthy 496 big block and it still worked fine when I sold it years later after buying my 9" rear.
You can send a lot of power to a 7.5" it is when you start trying to make it hook that it will show you its weakness but in a strictly street car without slicks it will probably last years, you can even install a support rear cover to add some strength.
Also there are no Ford cars that have a direct swap rearend without a lot of fabrication to make them fit but the aftermarket has plenty of bolt in housing/axle set ups all the way to fully assembled complete rears that are ready to install including brakes but these are all very pricey options.

captjohnie

n00b
Feb 12, 2015
I did the same with my 7.5" years ago, I installed an Auburn posi with a 373 gear and ran that behind a healthy 496 big block and it still worked fine when I sold it years later after buying my 9" rear.
You can send a lot of power to a 7.5" it is when you start trying to make it hook that it will show you its weakness but in a strictly street car without slicks it will probably last years, you can even install a support rear cover to add some strength.
Also there are no Ford cars that have a direct swap rearend without a lot of fabrication to make them fit but the aftermarket has plenty of bolt in housing/axle set ups all the way to fully assembled complete rears that are ready to install including brakes but these are all very pricey options.
thanks for your input I will consider it car is not painted as of yet, (long sad story) and am trying to get it prepped now so I have a little time on the rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor