79 GMC Caballero ignition module removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crodela1

n00b
Oct 22, 2014
I have a 79 Caballero I just bought that has sat for several years. The windshield seals rotted and now I have a lot of water and rust damage under the dash. My key turns but won't engage the ignition module. The rod is sliding now thanks to W-D40 but key Wil not turn the engine over. Engine has been started with jumping the starter, so I know the problem is in the key cylinder and ignition module. I have bought new parts, and started taking the ignition module off of the steering volume but there seems to be a third screw or star faster on the column holding it in that is not shown in the Haynes manual. And I can not get it out. Any sugesstions for its removal. It sits in the middle of the unit on the bracket.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Don't know if this will help, but here's a detailed description of dis-assembly of a tilt column. may give you what you need. Just hope the problem was not your start/neutral switch not being aligned. that would give the same indication.

Details are now on page 3 of this thread, about 1/2 way down. Lots of pictures. Therfes more info in the earlier pages as well regarding the switch mechanism, so worth reading the whole thing. HTH
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020-3.html

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's probably the philips head screw that is causing you the problem. It's installed where the round hole is and found under the high beam switch. The two 7mm bolts are used in the slotted holes

C990044-lrg.jpg

crodela1

n00b
Oct 22, 2014
Ok so part of the problem is someone installed an after market lock and cylinder and placed it in the wrong position. It won't go back to the locked position. And now the new one won't do it either. So I have the new lock and new ignition switch..... how do I adjust eveything? New to all of this.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There is a round metal plate under the steering wheel which has holes in it for the pin to lock the steering in place. I would remove the steering wheel to see what you find. If the switch is not in the correct position it could cause a problem with starting or using the accessories while the key is in that position but it will not interfere with locking up the steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor