GRAND PRIX 79 Grand Prix Resurrection

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I'm looking at Extreme OD's in Cincy but holy hell it going to cost me.

I'm going to end up spending all my savings on transmission and exhaust.
Paint and Body will now be WAAAAY down the road unless I can find someone who is willing to put me a floor pan in and fix my t-tops while the paintjob is put on hold.
Body now, paint later type of thing.
You are in VERY good hands If this is the transmission guy you are going to have build the transmission. Lonnie Diers. He is very well known in the Turbo Buick world and knows how to build a 200 4r that will handle a lot of power and will last. http://extremeautomatics.com/th2004R.php

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
You are in VERY good hands If this is the transmission guy you are going to have build the transmission. Lonnie Diers. He is very well known in the Turbo Buick world and knows how to build a 200 4r that will handle a lot of power and will last. http://extremeautomatics.com/th2004R.php
Yeah, I get the sense.
It so hard to make decisions that cost so much $ when your love for a car so far outweighs you're knowledge.

I need to do way more reading before I drop $2k+ on a transmission.

Honestly, I was naive about how much it was going to be.

In, 2007 I soent $1200 on a TH350 that my dads go to transmission guy said was plenty strong for the torquey Pontiac.

I talked to him today without telling him who I was. I asked about his experience with 200-4rs, he was like "yeah Ive built a few". It wasn't reassuring. Especially after reader so much from gear heads online about how different those OD's are.

I remain on the fence.

I wish I was more like this guy though...

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week"

---George S Patton

Problem is...his sh*t was serviced by the greatest military engine of all time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Anyone know if this would work in the console of a 79 Grand Prix?

I will be swapping the Th350 for a 200-4r.

b1ec1430dfcca67e85a94746eb846f14.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
That is the Buick/Oldsmobile shifter which will only work with a Buick or Oldsmobile console.....unless that is what you are using. The Grand Prix console was taller and used a different shifter that was more like the one used in the Monte Carlo and El Caminos

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
It looks like this but make sure you get one with the 4 speed gates

That is what is currently on the car.
I wish there was a way to retrofit these shifters for an OD transmission.

I always thought the factory slapstick was a neat touch... I mean I believe its factory.
The slapstick was in it when I bought the car in 1998.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Unless the 2004R is built with a billet forward drum and welded on shaft, it won't live behind your torque.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor