79 Grand Prix V6 to V8 (trans question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWOOD1995

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2016
I have a 79 Grand Prix with the V6 in it, not sure on trans. I will be swapping it all out for a 406/th400 setup, will i need to find a different crossmember, the 400 is a short shaft also, driveshaft length okay or will i need to get it lengthened, ive searched for similar questions but may have overlooked it. If there is already a post on this can someone send me a link and i will delete this to not clog up the threads.. Thanks, Dillon.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Best thing to do is get a double hump crossmember for the TH400/TH200-4R application that includes the extention mount to fit '78-'83 frames. The choices will be G Force, Summit, or Jegs. You'll need to resize the driveshaft/find one that is the right lenth. Don't for get to get the correct yoke for a TH400. With the TH400 you'll need the electric kick down switch.

DWOOD1995

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2016
Thanks buddy. I'm newer to these cars and it's setting in the snow at the moment so I didn't wanna lay under it to check. Lol. I may check out building one. I can do it for about 1/4 of the price of a gforce. Any idea about the rear end setup?

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Relevant photo:

tranny_dimensions.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
You can just cut the tab off your cross member and move it. Weld it back in the right place. That's how I did it. Reuse your rubber mount (unless its wasted). I did a 400 Pontiac/TH400. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with the TH400 again. A well built TH350 or a 700R4 will handle what you are going to do to it on a street car. Heck, they are building 700's for diesel trucks that will tow in 4th gear and take a jillion ft-lbs of torque. TH350 will bolt in, the 700 will require the same thing to be done to the mounting tab (same length as a short tail 700). A 3 spd automatic in 2018. No thanks to that. plus the TH400 is a power leech. lots of guts to spin. If you don't need it, don't bother. I have about half a dozen of them on the shelf that will never see the bottom of a car. I'd even go 200 4R before a TH400. This is where people will tell me (and you) I'm batty.

You can build a fixture pretty easy to put a second hump in your cross member and move the tab. All you need is a couple chunks of 2x4 a decent piece of plywood and a few lag bolts. Cut the original in half, weld in the second hump and viola! Double hump, custom cross member with a trans mount where you want it. Bolts in and if you do it carefully, it will look factory. More or less.

I can send you a pic of my fixture if you want. I just did a T5 double hump for my GP. Re-used the mount tab and used some scrap steel I had laying around. I can send you a pic of that too if you need it.

Reactions: 1 users

DWOOD1995

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2016
Thanks Pontiac Guy, I'll send you a message quick if you dont mind about some trans questions if thats alright.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You can just cut the tab off your cross member and move it. Weld it back in the right place. That's how I did it. Reuse your rubber mount (unless its wasted). I did a 400 Pontiac/TH400. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with the TH400 again. A well built TH350 or a 700R4 will handle what you are going to do to it on a street car. Heck, they are building 700's for diesel trucks that will tow in 4th gear and take a jillion ft-lbs of torque. TH350 will bolt in, the 700 will require the same thing to be done to the mounting tab (same length as a short tail 700). A 3 spd automatic in 2018. No thanks to that. plus the TH400 is a power leech. lots of guts to spin. If you don't need it, don't bother. I have about half a dozen of them on the shelf that will never see the bottom of a car. I'd even go 200 4R before a TH400. This is where people will tell me (and you) I'm batty.

You can build a fixture pretty easy to put a second hump in your cross member and move the tab. All you need is a couple chunks of 2x4 a decent piece of plywood and a few lag bolts. Cut the original in half, weld in the second hump and viola! Double hump, custom cross member with a trans mount where you want it. Bolts in and if you do it carefully, it will look factory. More or less.

I can send you a pic of my fixture if you want. I just did a T5 double hump for my GP. Re-used the mount tab and used some scrap steel I had laying around. I can send you a pic of that too if you need it.
Good luck with a 700R4/4L60-70E surviving in fourth towing behind any power, only so much room for added clutches and steels. You will need a 32 spline yoke for the trans, the driveshaft will be close.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor