79 Grandam 14x7 trim rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
Rally II(?) style trim rings. My car has a set of rally II's on it that were put on at some point in its life. I believe it originally came wtih snowflake style rims.
Anywho, I am having trouble finding the aftermarket's or OEM style, that match this style and especially with the oval valve stem hole. I see 15x8's out there but I am look for 14's with a 2-3/4" that I measured from the outside lip shoulder to the inner wheel portion of the trim ring (or maybe 2-1/2" would work), and the lip is flat with no step portions on them.

My car
101_8145.jpg
101_8142.JPG

Any thoughts on where I can get this style for replacements?

GM OEM pontiac (70's) 488379 (on ebay), have a noticeable bulge in the center of the shoulder area, and I suppose i could piece together a set of those from somewhere but they look akward in Pics of them off the car.
488379 on ebay with center bulge.
Capture.JPG

Am I just being to picky or fussy? Because i know I tend to be LOL, but I like this style that I currently have on my Grandam.
And, I actually found an exact style (usable condition) replacement of 1pc in my stash, that I couldn't believe I had and have no idea where it came from.

My 87 olds cutlass supreme has the Non oval hole with a step style in the lip and it looks Ok for that car.
Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm no Pontiac expert but in my short time owning one and diving into the different things I thought or assumed the trim rings you picture at the top as correct for the Rally IV style rims. I bought a set of Rally II's from someone who had them originally on his 78' or 79' Grand Prix and they had the trim trings you have on the bottom, so I'm assuming the rounded style is correct for the Rally II. Plus any time I've seen the Rally IV rims, they have the more pronounced dish that you are looking for. Just my observations.

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
I have a set of these if you're interested. They have a fillet/chamfer, but are 2 3/4 with the oval hole. Probably for Olds SSIIs.. .

Thanks fleming for the offer, but I am going to continue my search. For awhile anyways, I might eventually stumble upon some.

I'm no Pontiac expert but in my short time owning one and diving into the different things I thought or assumed the trim rings you picture at the top as correct for the Rally IV style rims. I bought a set of Rally II's from someone who had them originally on his 78' or 79' Grand Prix and they had the trim trings you have on the bottom, so I'm assuming the rounded style is correct for the Rally II. Plus any time I've seen the Rally IV rims, they have the more pronounced dish that you are looking for. Just my observations.

I looked up the part number for ralleyIV's but found no real pictures of any yet. Thanks for the info, I will continue to check that one out.

I see that Grandamman posted a for sale 79 grand am 4dr with the pictured, in my original post, GM part 488379 (bulged style) trim rings on it, so this gives me an idea of what they look like on a car anyway. I don't like them more than what i already have on my car, I guess they could grow on me.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
I bought a set of 14x7s and they came with 6 15 inch trim rings and these were the 4 14 inch trim rings. Mine where pretty beat up except for one.
20210402_175532.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
I believe i found them (one of em anyways). GM part number 10004649. Found an NOS one on line and bought it and it matches up. I didn't fully look up the cross but supposedly for 82 - up Grand prix which makes sense cause that is what looks like the center caps are for that are on this car.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor