79 Lemans dash removal, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannym

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2013
Hey guys. Im a new member with a 79 lemans, and a 78 lemans parts car.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to how to remove the dashboard. My 79 has dashboard that looks as if it was used as a chew toy for someones dog. And the parts car has perfect un-touched interior. Im the process of removing and painting the donor interior. And was looking for some pointers on getting the dash out as opposed to having to pay someone to do it.
Thanks in advance.

AlamoCity210

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
I'm sure it may be like any other dash. I've removed a few from different types of cars. Just remove all if any trim accessories and then look for your mounting points. Takes a little patience. Sorry it's not a specific answer to your questions.
Take as motivation to dive into it. :)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The gbody dashes are very easy to remove. 4 little bolts up front on top(very obvious) and there should be 4 little bolts on the bottom. One by each kicker panel and the other two should be on the sides of the radio area. After that its just unhooking gauges, switches, and lowering the steering column. I have done it 4 times now and the only problems I have ever run into was stripped out bolts by the windshield.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Aint there two bolts behind the steering column

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Yea those two bolts are what I was referring to when I said drop the steering column.

CDUNIGAN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2011
Is it imperative that you disconnect the fuse block?
Its to hard to see to get a good idea of how it is intended to be detached.
79 grand prix

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I would remove the fuse box. There is a bolt with a 1/4" hex that is in the center of the harness on the engine side that you need to loosen to remove the fuse block. The screw will stay in the harness side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor