79 monte carlo 305 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiC

n00b
Dec 22, 2020
Just wanted to introduce myself to my new family.

I came into possession of a 79 monte carlo 305 that needs a lot of TLC to get this back on the road - My wife got this for me as an xmas gift to keep me busy. I don't know much about this field of work, but I am willing to give this some effort before I pass it on to someone else (reads: certified mechanic).

The previous owner said it needs a 4 barrel carb. No clue what I'm looking for or where to lay down the foundation; I'm not going to sugar coat this at all - I just want to occasionally send it down a drag and "cruise" around.

What I'm thinking is:

650 CFM

Will this item limit any future components I may need? I do not want to buy this and then later have to replace this part when it comes time to work on the fuel system. I'm going to automaticaly assume it needs a new gas tank, pump, lines, etc etc etc.

someone please point me in the right direction...

thanks

oh, and Hi, my names nic. I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more of my posts asking questions.

thanks for your patience and understanding!

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A 650 implies Holley 650 DP (double pumper) to me. You could easily get away with a smaller carb on a 305.

You need to answer some questions 1st though :
Does it run?
What intake are you using?
Why no pictures?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What carb does it currently have? Generally factory carburetors are better than aftermarket replacements. Aftermarket carburetors tend to be very generic. The factory carburetor should be a Quadrajet which you can send off to be rebuilt. There are very few good carb rebuilders around as EFI has put most of them out of business. Two good rebuilders are Cliff Ruggles and Sean Murphy, you may also want to pick up the Quadrajet book by Doug Roe.

Very important point is never trade in your original carb for a remanufactured carb, reman = bad, rebuild = good! Reman means the carb is remanufactured to generic specs rather than rebuilt to correct factory specs for your application. Carburetors are very application specific to each engine model and variant. On top of all this, you may also need to retrofit in a fuel pressure regulator into your fuel pump to carb line. Most replacement fuel pumps are not built to correct specs anymore and pump out too much psi. Hence a regulator is required to knock the psi down to original correct specs.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Looks like it has a nice unmolested factory original carb to have rebuilt.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
You have the best carb on it right now for a stock 305 Small Block Chevy. Check some of your local repair shops to see if any would rebuild what you have.
I'm running a Q jet on the 267 V-8 in the 79 Monte Carlo in my avitar. It's a 1977 vintage carb that started life on a 350 was used on a 406 small block, two different 383 stroker small blocks and now the 267.
Your 79 looks like a great starting point!

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Not to confuse things, but on my 78 Monte Carlo the 305 came from the factory with a 2-barrel carburetor.

Any chance that could be the case in this 79 if it is stock?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Not to confuse things, but on my 78 Monte Carlo the 305 came from the factory with a 2-barrel carburetor.

Any chance that could be the case in this 79 if it is stock?

The 267 came with the duel jet two barrel carb (Half a Q-Jet) for 79 while the 305 came with the Q Jet.
For 78 the two barrel carb should have been the tried and true 2GC Rochester.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor