'79 Olds 350, Engine knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Start with the exhaust, a cracked manifold will sound like sh*t. I believe early A body headers will fit. Yes, the rocker arms wear and pivots break occasionally. I just pulling down my 403, I thought the cam lost lobes, nope. I have other issues, metal fillings. I followed the stupid 1970 thrust bearing setting with a piece of wood. I have feeling the thrust bearing is cooked. I had lower oil pressure. What is your hot oil pressure at idle and cruising? If it is 20 at idle and 40 at cruising with 10W30, that is fine. Try a stethoscope to pin point the noise.

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Ok. Definitely need exhaust manifolds for sure.

If it's the crank I wouldn't bother man, I hear it's not worth saving a later 70's olds block, is that true? 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣
Upper engine noises were common, never personally had issues with rocker pivots but yes was an issue.

Cracked flex plate can imitate sound of bad/noisy lifter.

As far as rebuild on older Olds..., personally I like to save what I can. Not a hoarder, but after Afghanistan was kind of like therapy to do something constructive and have it come to fruition.

Plus I'm more into the sound of a cammed V8 than into hearing a blown twin turbo 4 cylinder running nitrous on a flat plane crank.

So anyhow, depending on your location and what's in your area or your comfort level... You can go LS Swap, Crate SBC, or repair what you have and try to keep original.

Being that it is a Delta 88 I would be more inclined to fix the 350 or Replace with 403 or 455.

The 350 is definitely worth rebuilding IMHO. It's greatest limitation of cost containment is the lowered support at this specific time. Intakes are about double, overall quantity of cam profiles are less, aluminum heads are more in dollars, but less in variability and availability as compared to SBC.

But to think... A Real Delta 88 with a Real Rocket 350!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Let me know if you need manifolds ... I have them.

I've been looking for part number of headers I used on custom cruiser, but bought past 18 months so no longer on list to pull up.

I 'll have to get into storage unit and look at box.

Last edited:

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Let me know if you need manifolds ... I have them.

I've been looking for part number of headers I used on custom cruiser, but bought past 18 months so no longer on list to pull up.

I 'll have to get into store unit and look at box.
Passenger side I do, but would shipping to Canada be crazy wild? Let me know.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Ok. Definitely need exhaust manifolds for sure.

If it's the crank I wouldn't bother man, I hear it's not worth saving a later 70's olds block, is that true? 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣
It's not just the weaker block, the crack prone, shitty flowing 3A heads as well, if orginal. Both pre 77 and later 350's cost the same to rebuild. The crank from the mid 70's on is also questionable on higher power builds.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
It's not just the weaker block, the crack prone, shitty flowing 3A heads as well, if orginal. Both pre 77 and later 350's cost the same to rebuild. The crank from the mid 70's on is also questionable on higher power builds.
So besides the exhaust and fly wheel issue, should I just do what I can with rocker arm and timing chain also?

I don't want to do much more than that tbh, at least with this engine.

But 78Delta88 also has a point, about numbers matching, so I am really confused on the direction to go 🤣😭😭😭

I have a small budget for right now, and it isn't my daily driver. Ideally I want to make it run to get me to the local MTO, to have it plated 🤷‍♀️😭

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Start with the exhaust, a cracked manifold will sound like sh*t. I believe early A body headers will fit. Yes, the rocker arms wear and pivots break occasionally. I just pulling down my 403, I thought the cam lost lobes, nope. I have other issues, metal fillings. I followed the stupid 1970 thrust bearing setting with a piece of wood. I have feeling the thrust bearing is cooked. I had lower oil pressure. What is your hot oil pressure at idle and cruising? If it is 20 at idle and 40 at cruising with 10W30, that is fine. Try a stethoscope to pin point the noise.
If the pivots or rocker arms have damage, I am terrified to think what might be in the oil pan.

But now that the starter seems to miss at times, after that loud metallic breaking sound I heard while running the engine earlier.

I wonder if that is why the oil filter had a dent in it 🤦‍♀️🤣🤣🤣

But so far, yes the oil pressure is within those set parameters, no issues there but it is an aftermarket gauge so who knows.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, check for play in the valve train and yeah the nylon coated cam gear could be falling in the oil pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor