8.1L swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2019
Hey guys, so I've been building an 83 malibu wagon for quite some time now. Tried my hand at building an engine and overheated it. Anyways I've been looking into dropping an 8.1 into it. Currently it has a 3.73 10 bolt (or so I've been told) for a rear end, turbo 400 for a transmission. I'm about ready to buy the engine and want to carb swap it. Engine wise what size cam and carb would I need? What set of exhaust headers will fit the setup and what torque converter will I need? I'm only going to be driving around on the streets with it.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hey guys, so I've been building an 83 malibu wagon for quite some time now. Tried my hand at building an engine and overheated it. Anyways I've been looking into dropping an 8.1 into it. Currently it has a 3.73 10 bolt (or so I've been told) for a rear end, turbo 400 for a transmission. I'm about ready to buy the engine and want to carb swap it. Engine wise what size cam and carb would I need? What set of exhaust headers will fit the setup and what torque converter will I need? I'm only going to be driving around on the streets with it.

1st, and be clear, I'm not an 8.1 expert, but I can read the interwebs pretty well and I'm always interested in big stock HP and TQ - let google be your friend.

2nd - carb swap it? Really? Why? You are going to be extremely limited on intake choices and then you still have to have something to drive the coils. You can pick up a Microsquirt that will run the coils and fuel system for less than $400 without any IAC function. If you want the IAC operational, then for another $100 you can pick up an add on for it. Of course you could spend more for additional functionality. But with a Microsquirt you could use/adapt the entire factory harness - this would be the cheapest way out. From there you can pickup a Walbro 255 and some stock fuel filters and hace a combined total of about $150 in pump and filters and incorporate the factory lines.

3rd - cams are available, but .... Cam choice depends on your end goal and the cam has to work with the compression, 9:1, of the factory motor. So don't get crazy with big lopey cams on an 8.1.

4th - for headers options it begs the question of why? Again. These were put in alot of large vehicle applications with factory manifolds that ran to a 3" pipe to a 'y' that went to a 4" pipe. The factory 3" manifold will more than suit anyone's need for the power output they produce.

I've done a fair amount of research into building one of these to make some serious power, 4 digit or 800 plus anyway. The issue/dilemma is in the rotating assembly design - it's heavy. And when I say heavy, I mean heavy - too heavy to spin to 6-7K reliably. These were made to be torque monsters for towing and work truck applications, so turning one into something more than a 400HP/550TQ NA motor is difficult and really expensive. Considering the ease and cheapness of accomplishing the same with a 5.3 or 6.0, there is no real aftermarket for 8.1.

With ^^^said, a stock 8.1 with a 2500 stall on your TH400 with a set of 3.23's driving a set of 26-27" tires with something along the lines of an S475 pushing 10-14 psi of boost - all I can say is " I'M IN " - give me a time and place and i'm there to help. 600HP and probably 800ft/lbs of torque - yeeeee ha!!! But that's the limit of the stock rotating assembly.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Throw some aluminum rods in it and neutral balanced; let her spin. That's the key on an Olds- same big heavy rods and wet noodle crank.

Don't forget a rebalancing of the rotating assembly.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I would stay away from the 8.1 if you want to make decent power. It has several major differences from older big blocks that make aftermarket parts almost non existent. Raylar being the only one I know of. These engines have a habit of pitching rods if abused/tuned. If you just want to stuff one in there and run it stock then, ok, but in any other case I think you will be disappointed. It's an industrial engine in every sense.

bbcolds

Apprentice
Nov 1, 2009
Malin OR

Swapped on into 84 chevy dually a few years back and a lot of issues would be the same. Using the stock mounts on your current engine it will bolt in. Wiring harness to run it injected will be about the same cost as carb swapping but a carb is simpler. As for running the coils you can then run a distributor. Dart recommends a sliding collar one. no need for the coils. Any BBC hyd roller cam will fit just need to change to the older firing order. Aftermarket cam stuff not much for the 8.1 but older stuff abounds. Don't know of any aftermarket oil pans so ground clearance/crossmember maybe an issue. Used the headers off my 454 when I put in the 8.1. Fit fine. Would think the gbody/bbc headers would work. Engine is internally balanced so any sbc/bbc internally balanced flexplate will work. for a driver a stock convertor will work fine. Unless your rear is a 8.5 10 bolt you can kiss it goodby. Biggest drawback is they are HEAVY. All cast iron tall deck. Won't be a corner carver. Can go on but need to go to work sanding on my racecar.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor