8.5 change over

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Only the G-Body 8.5" are the correct width and have the correct mounting points.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I wondered the same thing. It would be alot cheaper. I suppose the brakets could be made. If you have the tools it should not be that hard. I think the hard part would be getting the perfect angle. sorry no real answer though.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You don't need brackets, you need control arms with the correct angles and lenght. There is at least one company that makes these control arms for 10 and 12 bolt swaps into G-Bodys but I don't remember the name. I have seen them on E-Bay also. Will try to get you more info.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
If you use a Ford 9" you can buy a housing that has been modified for use in G-Bodys. You keep talking about spring perches but that is the least difficult modification that is needed. The correct mounting points for the control arms, especially the upper control arms are more difficult to fabricate. By the time you buy a 9" Ford modified housing, axles, carrier assembly and brakes you will have well over $2000 in it. A stock G-Body 8.5" 10-bolt is far less expensive. I have a 8.5" from a Buick GN with 3.42 Posi that I just bolted in. It cost me $500; which was a real good deal but they can be bought for less than $1000. Moser makes new 12-bolts for G-Bodys and Strange makes Dana 60s that just bolt right in. They run about $2000. There is no cheap way to upgrade the rear axle.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
A 10 bolt from a chevelle would work with adjustable upper arms

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
firedowg said:
Does anyone know what came in a 1977 monte. i have a line on one but the guy dosnt know the size of the rearend?
It's most likely a 7.5" 10 Bolt, they used them in everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor