8.5 diff girdle/cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
So I'm trying to order parts for the 8.5 GN rear going in my Elcamino and I want to add one of those fancy heavy duty aluminum diff covers with the reinforcements for the carrier caps. The problem is on Jegs and Summit they list all of them for Chevy 8.5's and specifically say will not fit BOP 10 bolt rears... What gives? Why is there a difference, who has installed one of these? Is it just the supplied hardware or something? I thought a ten bolt was a ten bolt so I'm pretty confused. If there's some legitimate reason it won't work I don't want to waste the time and money buying one just to have to return it, hopefully some of you guys have experience with these and can shed some light on it.

Also I don't think it's even really necessary for what I'm doing, I just think it looks a lot nicer and has a built in fill and drain plug which makes servicing easier. I especially like the B&M one with the big cast cooling fins, it looks pretty sweet, definitely better than a stamped steel piece (even though you won't really see it unless you're under the car).

Reactions: 1 user

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
they wont fit 7.5 rears and that prob what you have or originaly had search GN year
I did, 86 GN says it won't fit... The say fits GM 8.2, 8.5, and 8.6 ten bolt, Chevy only, parts description specifically says won't fit Buick, Olds or Pontiac. I thought it was some kind of typo but I looked at several brands of covers on both sites and they all say the same... I don't get it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This one says GM 8.5
Q:Will this fit 85-87 cutlass hurst 8.5” rear-end?
Thanks.

Asked by RAFAEL on May 17, 2018

A:
Yes, this cover should fit this rear-end.
Proform Parts
Proform Parts Answer - May 18, 2018
0 of 0 found this answer helpful.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The problem is on Jegs and Summit they list all of them for Chevy 8.5's and specifically say will not fit BOP 10 bolt rears... What gives?
I've been understanding that the passenger 8.5" 10 bolts were a corprate rear back to when they started using them about '71/'72.

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
This one says GM 8.5
Q:Will this fit 85-87 cutlass hurst 8.5” rear-end?
Thanks.

Asked by RAFAEL on May 17, 2018

A:
Yes, this cover should fit this rear-end.
Proform Parts
Proform Parts Answer - May 18, 2018
0 of 0 found this answer helpful.
I have the same cover on my 8.5 . The rear is from a 442
20181014_175415.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I've been understanding that the passenger 8.5" 10 bolts were a corprate rear back to when they started using them about '71/'72.

Meaning they should all be the same across all GM divisions? I know at some point they switched from sae standard to metric bolts for the cover... But it seems most of them come supplied with both sets of hardware so I don't see how that would be the issue.

I mean technically as you know, the 8.5 in G bodies is unique to just G bodies so I wondered if the housing is somehow different with regards to the cover from the 8.5's in A/F/X bodies or pickup trucks which seem to be what they say the covers will fit.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I mean technically as you know, the 8.5 in G bodies is unique to just G bodies so I wondered if the housing is somehow different with regards to the cover from the 8.5's in A/F/X bodies or pickup trucks which seem to be what they say the covers will fit.
In theory outside of model specific mount points (& our god awful wheel cylinders) they all should share parts interchange. Cover should be the same between a '86 G, '75 F, '72 A, '80 B for example.

Reactions: 4 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
In theory outside of model specific mount points (& our god awful wheel cylinders) they all should share parts interchange. Cover should be the same between a '86 G, '75 F, '72 A, '80 B for example.
Well I took a chance and ordered the B&M diff cover because it looks bad *ss. I suspect it will fit like you said, if not I will just hold you personally responsible. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor