8.5 inch spooled rear worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

81malibuss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2020
So I know this has been asked a bunch of times but I am thinking of upgrading to a 9" so I am just curious. The rear is an 8.5 in housing that I bought new old stock from a circle track racer back in the early 2000's. Its it great shape but has a little surface rust. I have welded the axel tubes, c-clip eliminators, Moser 33 spine spool and axels, 4.10 Richmond gear, Mark Williams 1350 pinion yoke, LPW cover and bracing with beefed up tubes 0.12" thick, (the ones they come with are pretty thin wall tubing), and aluminum drums. I would be selling with an H&R parts and stuff anti-roll bar with upgraded and braced mounts along with the Wolfe racecraft upper and lower control arms. It also has a custom Mark William 2 magnet collar on the pinion yoke. I have been a 1.33 60' with this rear in a 3250 lbs Malibu, running 5.90@117 in the 1/8. I'm doing a serious motor upgrade this winter and thinking about the rear. Thanks in advance

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Dana 60 before a 9”. But that’s me.

Usually I’m not scared of recommending using an 8.5, but if you’re going to be in sub 1.3 60”, then I have to bale out on the 8.5 - I’m sure you sell two at you have for $1200-2000 to fund the next setup.

81malibuss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2020
Thanks for the reply, if I go with a new rear I would probably go with TRZ housing with all the bracing. I'm not sure, I think I may be able to get some more out of it. If I delay the spray out to the hole by 0.1 second that would be enough for the drivetrain to engage and take the hit out of the rear. However, if I could get enough for it I would send it down the road.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Delay the spray to save the rear? That program would be over after the 1st weekend to the track for me. Weekend #2 would ‘well, it took last weekend, let’s see what happens with no delay and another 100 on top’

hehe!

Serious as a heart attack - sell what you have in functional condition and roll the money into the next program.

My two cents - If you don’t want them, then throw them back - if they land heads up then I won’t throw them back ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
With the spool, basically anyone who wants this rear, it will be a track only car. That severely limits people who want this rear end. As said, when people get to that power level on a G body, they go 9" or Dana 60. If if had a posi vs the spool, it would open up who might want it. Pretty sure 33 spline anything for a 8.5" will cost $$$. My 2 cents US or Three Fiddy Canadian😁

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

awdblazer

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2013
So I know this has been asked a bunch of times but I am thinking of upgrading to a 9" so I am just curious. The rear is an 8.5 in housing that I bought new old stock from a circle track racer back in the early 2000's. Its it great shape but has a little surface rust. I have welded the axel tubes, c-clip eliminators, Moser 33 spine spool and axels, 4.10 Richmond gear, Mark Williams 1350 pinion yoke, LPW cover and bracing with beefed up tubes 0.12" thick, (the ones they come with are pretty thin wall tubing), and aluminum drums. I would be selling with an H&R parts and stuff anti-roll bar with upgraded and braced mounts along with the Wolfe racecraft upper and lower control arms. It also has a custom Mark William 2 magnet collar on the pinion yoke. I have been a 1.33 60' with this rear in a 3250 lbs Malibu, running 5.90@117 in the 1/8. I'm doing a serious motor upgrade this winter and thinking about the rear. Thanks in advance
where you located???

81malibuss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I read about a guy running low 8's in an f-body with a ten bolt and Cotton and his grand national went fast on a ten bolt. I know it limits the customer base but someone with a good 9/10 second street/strip/grudge car would be a good fit. I've driven it on the street and the only time I have any problems is when I get on it really hard and try and turn a corner. Then again I don't drive it in the rain or snow. I've drifted over lanes getting on the highway, it just wants to go straight, which is okay with me.

I'm located in Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor