REGAL 8.5 posi with 342 or 373

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
I have a 79 Buick Regal limited 4.9/4 barrel carb with a m200 trans and 7.625 rear end. I may be able to get a 8.5 posi with 342 or 373 come on 373. Is this just drop and play or a night mare? Was out a 79 Boo. Come on plug & play...

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Plug and play Tony. Do it. I’ve got the 3:73 version in Olds Cool.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If it was in a 79 Malibu it wasn't original to the car as 8.5" G body rear ends ONLY ever Buick GN's/T-type or Olds 442's. All GN's had 3.42 and all Olds had 3.73. if it's one of those rear ends, it simply bolts in, only have to shorten the driveshaft. That's it. If its out of an older Chevelle or something, you'll need different control arms and wheels with different backspacing to make it work.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Streetbu is right, I forgot about the driveshaft. Either yours will have to be shortened or get it out of the donor car. Other than that it should go right in.

Reactions: 1 user

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
If it was in a 79 Malibu it wasn't original to the car as 8.5" G body rear ends ONLY ever Buick GN's/T-type or Olds 442's. All GN's had 3.42 and all Olds had 3.73. if it's one of those rear ends, it simply bolts in, only have to shorten the driveshaft. That's it. If its out of an older Chevelle or something, you'll need different control arms and wheels with different backspacing to make it work.
I figured that he bought the car for parts, had frame problem. Had a 383 sbc in it so who knows. But sure would wake up by Buick 4.9/4 barrel, M200 I am hoping he took the drive shaft. Thanks for the info.

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
Streetbu is right, I forgot about the driveshaft. Either yours will have to be shortened or get it out of the donor car. Other than that it should go right in.
Thanks I am hoping he took the driveshaft. How does that go again measure twice cut once. Sure will wake up my mini van killer on the street. Come on plug & play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor