8.5 rear bent axle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Have a slightly bent axle (noticed it while the rear of the car was on jacks and in drive).

1985 442, stock 8.5” 3.73 rear.

looking to replace both axles with something stronger than stock, anyone have a recommendation?

Also, I’m guessing I might as well replace the axle bearings and seals. Anyone have a preference or part numbers for those?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Moser or Superior. If the differential is questionable, consider upgrading both to 30-spline. Moser for that one.

Might be worth checking the straightness of the housing. The better shops that service differentials will likely have a reference bar.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It really depends on what you want to do with them.

Try Moser for axles. As mentioned. Unless you're lucky, it'll be hard to find good 8.5" stock axles for it. Personally, I'd avoid 30 spline, in the interest of spending more $$$, or you'll be buying a new carrier.

I can only recommend GM parts for the axle bearings and seals. Rockauto has both. These are for STOCK GM axles. Someone else's brand of axles may have another idea.

Seals. Same p/n either side. #554631, or ACDelco #291-309

Bearings, aka "axle eaters"... same p/n either side. #12471606, or ACDelco #RW20-09

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Moser Street Axles are a cost effective upgrade. I've used them with 750ish HP

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Moser or Superior. If the differential is questionable, consider upgrading both to 30-spline. Moser for that one.

Might be worth checking the straightness of the housing. The better shops that service differentials will likely have a reference bar.

They still make Superior axles?

Reactions: 1 user

TType85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I have Mosers 28 spline in mine. They have held up well. I also just had the housing straightened because there was a slight bend to it. I had to use a rubber mallet to get the pass side axle in to take the c-clips off and pry it out. I also had them weld the axle tubes since it was out and apart.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I just want to echo what ssn696 mentioned about your carrier. IF your carrier is shot and needs rebuild/replacement, consider going 30 spline axles/differential while everything is apart. It's not stock, but 30 spline axles are a very nice step up to handle a lot more power up in the front. Now with that said, consider that behemoth of a powerhouse 307 you got powering it- I think it's still stock? :) If you are going to stay stock, you won't need all that beefiness, unless you plan on upgrading the powerplant later. Then do it while it's apart. Plan your work, work your plan.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
I just want to echo what ssn696 mentioned about your carrier. IF your carrier is shot and needs rebuild/replacement, consider going 30 spline axles/differential while everything is apart. It's not stock, but 30 spline axles are a very nice step up to handle a lot more power up in the front. Now with that said, consider that behemoth of a powerhouse 307 you got powering it- I think it's still stock? :) If you are going to stay stock, you won't need all that beefiness, unless you plan on upgrading the powerplant later. Then do it while it's apart. Plan your work, work your plan.
The 307 is long gone, now have a pretty stout Fuel injected 383 in there and have an Olds 403 that I plan on putting in one day but my machine shop that did Olds retired.

I have a slight vibration at 55mph and through elimination must be the axle. Wheel wobble when jacked up and running.

I replaced the pinion seal and did a fluid change a year ago and carrier looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor