8.5 Rear End HP Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
IDK if you are talking 500 at the wheels or at the crank, but my SS is making 600 at the crank and hasn't broken my 8.5 yet and it's been beat on hard for years.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Yes it will but the stock posi wont last long and axle upgrade is recomended. I know a few guys who have 600+ at the wheels on a 8.5 houseing with upgraded parts

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
crotchss said:
IDK if you are talking 500 at the wheels or at the crank, but my SS is making 600 at the crank and hasn't broken my 8.5 yet and it's been beat on hard for years.

which should equal about 500 pissed of horsies at the wheels right? :lol: All stock 8.5 with posi? What upgrades if not?

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
My 8.5 has a Detroit Locker and Moser axles now, but I just put those in a year ago or so. Before that I had a Eaton posi in it with stock axles.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Well the Eaton posi unit had been in for six or seven years and the clutches were starting to slip from wear and having stock axles and hooking hard on slicks was making me nervous at the strip. Plus with the upgrades I'm planning it seemed like a good idea, now I'm debating about a 9 inch set up to get rid of any nervousness. Money will decide that though. Currently pulled the 406 out and building a 434 then I guess we will see what the trans and rear diff are really made of(crossing my fingers and praying for them to survive).

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I do alot of street driving on mine, with about 340hp to the wheels. The factory posi clutches don't last long with alot of power and regular street driving. But I think that can be expect from a 27year old unit. Many people upgrade to the Eaton unit, which has a stiffer spring/clutch system and lasts longer.

I can't speak for the strength of the axles against 500hp though... Seems like alot of guys are running big power on stock axles and carriers

chevy76monteman

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
I've got an Eaton posi in my '76 Monte. Love it. Plan on upgrading the GP to an 8.5 w/ an Eaton posi and Moser axles someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor