8.5 WITH C-CLIP ELIMINATORS. BRAKE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I recently picked up a nicely biult 8.5 rear that has strange a1032 c-clip elininators already installed. i am trying to decide my options for brakes. the g body brake flange now has a 4 bolt pattern for the eliminators but the long ear has been cut off. can i use standard g body backing plate and just drill the two new holes or will the backing plate flex too much without the long ear ? i could go with the right stuff disc kit but not sure if the kit for the earleir 4 bolt gm pattern will be spaced correctly or if the supplied lines and parts will work correctly on a gbody.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Don't assume what the 4 bolt pattern is. There are several different ones. Measure it up and go from there. I would guess that most anyone doing what you've described would use a Ford 9" big bearing pattern, but again...don't *ss U ME. I think you'll find your options are close to limitless if you're going to run a 17"+ wheel.

Reactions: 1 user

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
have zero intentions of ever putting anything other then gm 15 inch rally wheels on the car so that narrows that down alot. i already did some measuring of an 8.5 that is on a stand to this one. bottm mounting holes are same distance apart. it looks like a trimmed downed factory flange with the clip kit that i included a part number for. so as i asked. would a stock g body backing plate work fine without the long ear that the pin on top bolts throug h work fine without that ear or will it weaken the usability of the backing plate

maxi426

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2018
G body backing plates are too thin to use without the anchor pin and wheel cylinder area supported, IMO.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
DO you have a picture of it? I have never seen a 10 bolt c-clip eliminator. Is it year specific to the g-body? If not and the eliminator has the standard 4 bolt pattern, I would look at using an early Chevelle backing plate that used the 4 bolt pattern.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The wheel cylinder mounts on the flange. Prior to the G-body brake design, the typical GM rear brake pattern is a trapezoid - two holes line up either the existing small backing plate retainer bolt holes, just need to drill to size. The upper pair just fits if the PO cut the flange right. The unknown here is what do the elimimators do to either the drum or disc fitment. A picture would help with our armchair engineering.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/how-to-camaro-rear-disc-brake-swap-to-g-body-axle.55480/

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the drum brakes on the 8.2" 67 A body rear. It used the same drum and emergency brake cable and has a bolt in wheel cylinder. The backing pate is bolted to the flange with 4 bolts

Reactions: 1 users

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
Here is a few pics. the flange was defenitly a cut down g body flange and drilled for the pattern of the old 12 bolt /8.5 10 bolts . the brake bracket on there now will be getting returned to the old owner .it was a wilwood kit that was on there.

Attachments

• Resized_20200610_175721.jpeg
    Resized_20200610_175721.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 437
  • Resized_20200610_175727.jpeg
    Resized_20200610_175727.jpeg
    810.7 KB · Views: 648

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
The wheel cylinder mounts on the flange. Prior to the G-body brake design, the typical GM rear brake pattern is a trapezoid - two holes line up either the existing small backing plate retainer bolt holes, just need to drill to size. The upper pair just fits if the PO cut the flange right. The unknown here is what do the elimimators do to either the drum or disc fitment. A picture would help with our armchair engineering.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/how-to-camaro-rear-disc-brake-swap-to-g-body-axle.55480/
the wheel cylinder does not mount to the flange. there is a very large hole in the flange that the retaining clip fits through and seats directly on the backing plate itself. now if you run the s10 wheel cylender bracket that will need to be drilled the flange and bolted in. The pin for the springs however does bolt through above the wheel cylinder. i could do blazer rear brakes or ls1 but not sure what i need to make ebrake work. . blazer brakes i know will clear a 15" corvetter rallye with no issues. not sure about ls1. i also dont care if the e brake is mounted in the caliper of in the drum of the rotor. just need brakes that work .

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Based on the picture, use the early Chevelle backing plate and wheel cylinders and you're done.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor