8.8 in Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2014
I just came home from the junkyard (I know, auto disassembly facility) with a Mustang 8.8. What is that huge chunk of iron bolted to the bottom of the center section? I haven't seen that on any of my GM or Chrysler cars.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Dead weight. I took that off my Explorer years ago. Supposed to be a vibration damper. Not sure if it helps at all. I've never noticed a difference. But for me it's hard to tell on 35" mud tires

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A Mustang 8.8, geesh, those things are the holy grail and unobtainium in these parts. I've been on the lookout for one for 3 years at the local pick-n-pull.

What are you going to do with wheel bolt pattern?

JJake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2014
A Mustang 8.8, geesh, those things are the holy grail and unobtainium in these parts. I've been on the lookout for one for 3 years at the local pick-n-pull.

What are you going to do with wheel bolt pattern?
Same here, been looking for 5 years, bought one with a bent tube, thought it could be fixed, couldn't. Two showed up at pick-n-pull last week, the 97 was gone the second day, the 2001 was in a low spot of the yard (3 inches of water). Hadn't even had the rear brakes replaced.
I will redrill the axle flange or use unilug or multi bolt pattern wheels. I'm pretty sure the original 14 inch wheel won't fit over the calipers. Leaning towards the wheel option. I have unilug Cragar's on my 79 TA with no problems.

JJake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2014

Attachments

• Lumpofiron.jpg
    Lumpofiron.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 76

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Don't think so, it's the vibration damper on a Mustang 8.8. Took the one off mine and thru it in the scrap bin. No issues.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’m sure the price has increased since I lay bought a set of Moser axles, but 4 years ago they were $260-275 for dual pattern axles. Those should be 31 spline correct? If yes, then you’ll never damage a Moser at 500 whp.

My two cents ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor