8.8 swap in a gbody..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdietschweiler

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2011
Janesville, Wi
Since so many people ask...

I bought a stock drum brake fox mustang 8.8. Then installed junkyard axles out of a 80's style ranger 7.5 (drivers side) and a aerostar 8.8 (passenger side). You can use two of the same sides but remember there was a rotational force applied to the one axle your trying to spin backwards. This now converts me to a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.Now that we covered that, we have to deal with the wheel issues.

The ford axle is 1.75" wider overall. I have found that a 15x8 will fit with 5" of back spacing. This allows me to clear my 275/60r15 mt drag radials. They have a 11" section width. My tires do not rub with stock fender lips (not rolled) but will rub on the frame when turning up an embankment. (an arb will fix that) My tires are tucked and 28" tall. If your running 26" and are at stock ride height you may not have these issues and could probally get away with less backspacing on the wheels.Hoosier qtp tires will not fit because they haa 11.5" section width.

The driveshaft length was fine for me, I cannot tell you the ujoint because my driveshaft was not stock.

Ive got Trick chassis double adjustable lowers (ive heard stockers will work but cant confirm)I have trick chassis uppers (for a mustang) with a hiem in the upper axle ear. Every thing back there is solid.you can buy iceman uppers so you can have bushings in the upper axle ears.all this will get the rear axle in allow you to set your pinion angle but this will give you instant center issues.To correct this you will need the baseline kit (uppers and boxes) and a heim in the upper ear. or you can just buy the boxes and have your uppers shortened 2"+- .I know alex (trick chassis) is coming out with a kit also. Call him

http://www.trickchassis.com/parts-for-sale.html

Thanks for reading, Good Luck

jdietschweiler

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2011
Janesville, Wi
Well I went down to Trick Chassis today and we came up with a product to install a 8.8 mustang rear end in a gbody...

20131029_115440.jpg

Now I havnt tested using stock gbody lowers but I do have his double adjustable lowers on my rear end (8.8). The only welding you will need to do is the bucket into the pocket and the axle spring perches. (im sure you can get them from him)

This kit will also address the instant center issues that are commonly overlooked when performing this swap.

I also believe that this will work for those "gotta be all G.M." 12 bolt swaps.

Give Alex a call....

http://www.trickchassis.com

jdietschweiler

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2011
Janesville, Wi
GMhunter said:
So is the new kit all that will be needed for an 8.8 swap now??

Sorry, I don't log on here very much (busy busy) but Yes, add hiems in the upper ears and some hiemed lowers and it fits. As posted above, stock lowers MAY work but ive never tested it.

kad5118

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2010
Does it matter what year 8.8 you use for the gbody swap

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
Any year axle with the triangulated four link will work for the swap (late 70's to mid 90's ) but 80's Fox body Mustang rear end or thunderbird turbocoupe has the closest rear end to a gbody. 7.5" has a 4 bolt wheel pattern and the 8.8 is both 4 bolt and 5x114.3. You will also need the driveshaft end that bolts to the diff and a conversion Ujoint.

7.5" and 8.8" rear ends can be differentiated by the diff cover. The 7.5 has a completely rounded cover the 8.8 has flat edges on the top and bottom of the cover. The axles from either one are the same and can be swapped and come in 27 or 31 splines. 27 is the most common 31 is found in thinderbird supercoupe or mustang SVT maybe some others.

Full size mercury, lincoln, ford ltd has the same housing but longer axle shaftsm ABS and usually an open diff. Ranger and Aerostar both have an offset diff on the rear end but one of the axles is the same length as the mustang axle we need and there all 5x114.3. You can find an LSD carrier any of these vehicles and many 8.8" IRS rear ends. Explorer (4.10 typically), Tbird / mustang GT (3.55 , 3.73). Grab the disc brakes from an 80's lincoln continental, ford LTD for the largest rears or later mustangs for smaller disc brakes.

For some reason ford excluded one friction plate in the LSD and used two steel plates together if your rebuilding keep one of the old ones or look for a kit with the extra, makes a world of difference adding that. Nothing on this planet smells as bad as ford LSD fluid, bring rags and soap if your getting one from the wreckers. you will need it.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Are you using a sway bar? If so stock or aftermarket? They should still mount the same and clear the housing right? This is some info I have not read about with these swaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor