8.8 swaps - who's done them

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Who has installed an 8.8 into their G? Tell me about your install. What did you use? Would you do it again?

Don't really want this to turn into which one is better, just looking for thoughts on the 8.8.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Calling Wraith he's battling with one presently.

I have one in my MC that's in my avatar. I used a Southside Machine 8.8 kit and I'm happy with it. ALOT of welding and I mean ALOT! But I haven't broken anything with it yet and hope to not break anything. And I believe it's safe to say that I have put the beans to it. My center is not stock though.

I used a late '90's Exploder housing directly from the junkyard. The kit worked well, but can be somewhat overwhelming at 1st with the all of the geometry calculations. But it's no where near as bad as I made it. I used a factory disc Exploder brake setup and used the factory rubber lines at the calipers. I documented it in my thread in the racing forum fairly well.

Total investment with the kit and JY bill was less than $850, but then I added a spool, 35 spline axles and Ford 9" big wheel ends (yes more welding). I'm sure I have more than a roll of welding wire in this thing.

And yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would make one modification to the kit that would help make lowering the car easier, but other than that I'm more than happy with it.

Reactions: 4 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Calling Wraith he's battling with one presently.

I have one in my MC that's in my avatar. I used a Southside Machine 8.8 kit and I'm happy with it. ALOT of welding and I mean ALOT! But I haven't broken anything with it yet and hope to not break anything. And I believe it's safe to say that I have put the beans to it. My center is not stock though.

I used a late '90's Exploder housing directly from the junkyard. The kit worked well, but can be somewhat overwhelming at 1st with the all of the geometry calculations. But it's no where near as bad as I made it. I used a factory disc Exploder brake setup and used the factory rubber lines at the calipers. I documented it in my thread in the racing forum fairly well.

Total investment with the kit and JY bill was less than $850, but then I added a spool, 35 spline axles and Ford 9" big wheel ends (yes more welding). I'm sure I have more than a roll of welding wire in this thing.

And yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would make one modification to the kit that would help make lowering the car easier, but other than that I'm more than happy with it.

Guessing with your setup, you did the lower control arms as well?

Seen some old threads where some just did the uppers. I know doing upper and lower is the preferred way, just don't fully understand why.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I didn’t modify anything on the body. Everything is in the stock location.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
I watched a video about how the up to 98 crown vic rear is supposedly a direct swap? any one done that or have info? It didn't exactly show the swap just a after review.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Can't really speak to the swap, But the 8.8 is a pretty decent axle. The '93 Explorer in my avatar is an axle from a 2000 Explorer with 5.13 gears and 35" tires with an ARB locker. Strength wise, I've not had any issues with it. But I do have an axle wrap problem and keep twisting leaf springs.

Avoid the Rangers as a donor. Most will have 28 spline axles unless it's an FX4. And the rangers are a bit narrower. But the '95+ Explorers should be plentiful in junkyards and come with factory disc brakes. Yukon makes a C clip eliminator for those axles too complete with chromoly axles shafts. Bolt pattern will be different than stock G-body. That Yukon kit is drilled for 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 5.5. But it will widen the track by ~2 inches if I remember correctly.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
So a mustang rear end vs an explorer rear end? Mustang appears a little easier to get in.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It is if you can find one. You weld in relocation brackets for the upper arms adn then either redrill the axle or buy new =ones for the wheel of pattern of your choice.

They are like chicken lips in this area.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor