8.8 wheel fitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
So long and short. I did some swapping and no longer have an 80 Regal somerset and instead have a 78 Malibu which is one of my favorite cars ever made. Pretty stoked about this.

That being said- i have an 8.8 from a foxbody (gm 4.75 bolt pattern) that i am putting under the malibu. I am going to be running a 28x10.5 and/or 275/60 tire on the rear.

Plan to definitely run 15x10 wheels, curious about back spacing on a foxbody rear?

Will run 15x8s if i have to but prefer the 15x10's..

Thanks in advance.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
What year was the mustang? I saw you called it a fox body but some people call all of them that. Different years are different widths.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
8" wheels are fine on 275/60-15; no need for 10.

90. The only foxbodys are 79-93.

It is in fact a smidge wider than the factory housing which may be beneficial in effort to pull the wheel away from the frame, i would think that i could also run a deeper back spacing to take advantage of that and squeeze a 10" wheel under the *ss end just curious on exactly how much back spacing to use.

My s10 with 10" wheels, 275s and stock width housing had the tires about flush with the outside lip of the wheel well and it looked great. If i could replicate that look on my stock style suspension malibu- thatd be great.

I would consider the 8" wheel, however most of the racing i do is no prep and i need as much contact area as i can get. I know that a 12" wheel under a stock frame car is a no go or id be leaning that way.

I can darn near guarantee you every 28x10.5 car i was around this weekend ran no smaller than a 10" wheel lol.

If i have to- then i have to but any input on a 10" wheel with this rearend housing would be greatly appreciated..

(I am going to run conventional gm drum brakes on the rear, at least for now)

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
Like i said. I loved the 10" with 275s on my sten.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524492440863.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524492440863.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,217
Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I'm aware of the fox years, just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

My guess would be that you could use SN95 stock back spacing with a spacer or add back spacing as required. I have a 95 8.8 in mine and can fit 10" wide Cobra wheels without issue but my axle is a little wider than yours.
IMG_20180323_120430445.jpg
these are 275/35/18s

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
90. The only foxbodys are 79-93.

It is in fact a smidge wider than the factory housing which may be beneficial in effort to pull the wheel away from the frame, i would think that i could also run a deeper back spacing to take advantage of that and squeeze a 10" wheel under the *ss end just curious on exactly how much back spacing to use.

My s10 with 10" wheels, 275s and stock width housing had the tires about flush with the outside lip of the wheel well and it looked great. If i could replicate that look on my stock style suspension malibu- thatd be great.

I would consider the 8" wheel, however most of the racing i do is no prep and i need as much contact area as i can get. I know that a 12" wheel under a stock frame car is a no go or id be leaning that way.

I can darn near guarantee you every 28x10.5 car i was around this weekend ran no smaller than a 10" wheel lol.

If i have to- then i have to but any input on a 10" wheel with this rearend housing would be greatly appreciated..

(I am going to run conventional gm drum brakes on the rear, at least for now)

Thanks.
Well, hell, now you got me wondering if I could hook better on a 10. Damn it, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor