80 Cutlass build- seeking any suggestion..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A great motor. Now would be the time for new gaskets, a neoprene rear main seal is a good idea over the factory rope seal. The Ford 292 or AMC 6 rubber seal will fit your Olds 350. I also have a 73 Olds 350 in my 88 Cutlass. I have a custom tuned 78 800 cfm Qjet, Sanderson shorty headers and custom 2.5" X pipe exhaust. With the 2004R and 3.42 gears it performs very well. The Hedman are the only cheaper full length headers worth buying. Sanderson, Hedman and Thornton make shorty headers that will fit. The Sanderson and Hedman require custom down pipes and the Hedman need a very tight bend or the pipes will scrape the ground. The Thornton shorties use 64 through 72 exhaust manifold down pipes. The Pypes down pipes have a 2.25" flange then into a 2.5" pipe. Ramair Restorations down pipes are full 2.5" aluminum vs 409 SS both are mandrel bent. Some Pypes pipes have been bent wrong, including the Olds down pipes. They are listed for a BBO but will fit your 350.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Is that an Edelbrock carb? If so use something else. So many Olds 350's have had issues running them.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I like Pypes. They're a good value for the money (mandrel bent stainless) and their mufflers sound similar to the more expensive brands like Magnaflow and Borla.
Add a note for Pypes, use the 442 style side exit kits not the MC SS style rear exit kit in 2.5" unless they corrected the right tail pipe then they owe me some tail pipes.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Clean it. Paint it olds gold. Put a chain and all new gaskets in it. Even the rear main. Do it now or regret it later. Step up a little on the cam. Use a qjet on a decent intake. You already have exhaust advice. I recommend a 200 4R trans in lieu of the 350. You will like the low first gear. This part is controversial. I'm going to get beat up for it but I'm running it quite happily......
...put a 3.23 GM gear in the 7.5 and get someone's hand me down Auburn.

It will be a fun reliable driver.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, the nylon timing chain should be replaced. My 73 was painted GM Blue with an early 307 intake and a 83 non CCC Canadian carb. Supposedly along with 2004R trans from an 83 big car. it was probably a factory 2bbl motor. i threw it in as is, timing set was probably done. I have some leakage, probably the rear main. The Felpro conversion set and their brand Olds timing set along with a rubber rear main and 73 to 85 Turkey Tray intake gasket and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor