80 Cutlass SBC multiport turbo street/strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My son has decided that he's looking for some more power, 650-700 whp, that can be daily driven implying reliable. We tossed around the idea of grabbing an SHP block and forged crank for his 327 and cranking the boost up to low to mid 20's, or grabbing a junkyard 6.0/4L80, but both lead to a unreliable program in our opinions. After talking to our engine/machine shop guy my kid decided to build a different motor and leave his current motor as is and put it into another project (which I'm a fan of) because a bolt in 500 HP 327 is a neat setup.

He just ordered a World Products LS hybrid block and rotating assembly combination consisting of a Scat crank and rods, SRP pistons, and Erson hydro roller. We're going to use a set of 317 truck heads and a T6 S475 turbo. We are estimating that we ought to be 650 whp with 10-12psi. This our first 'real' high HP, garage build that doesn't consist of scrounging every component possible and pushing every component to the edge of failure, which is where we are at presently with a stock 2 bolt block and cast crank.

We are working on 'packaging' the setup under the hood with rear exhaust, flipped truck headers and using an air cleaner. I know that many turbo builds seem to treat the air filter as an optional component, but I don't agree with that, especially considering it's a fresh motor. I've never understood making the effort to build a street car that is a screamer only to wipe out the cylinders via no air filter - maybe I'm just too anal retentive about it :). But it definitely adds to the packaging issue as the T6 might be LARGE.

We still need to find another converter, but presently still are shopping for one.

Reactions: 2 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
We are working on 'packaging' the setup under the hood with rear exhaust, flipped truck headers and using an air cleaner. I know that many turbo builds seem to treat the air filter as an optional component, but I don't agree with that, especially considering it's a fresh motor. I've never understood making the effort to build a street car that is a screamer only to wipe out the cylinders via no air filter - maybe I'm just too anal retentive about it :)

I agree with you about the air filter. Why build a badass engine and then not protect it?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Some of the summer's fun.

Winter is here and we are getting ready for the next batch of upgrades. We are swapping to an MS3X so we can run CNP, launch control, boost control, TC lockup, fans, fuel pumps, vac pump, as well as a bunch of warning lights and let one ECM handle all of the add-ons that are in the car now. And if I get ambitious I'll add on and tune some traction control. We've had the ECM, harness and related parts for over a year, but wanted to wait until the off season to get it done.

Also we will be upgrading to C5 brakes in the front and swapping the dash to a Gran Prix giddyup. I want to say thanks to Longroof for helping us find the last part needed for the dash upgrade. I plan to move all of the engine bay wiring inside the car in an attempt to clean up the engine bay. Presently we have two aftermarket electrical add-ons out there and it looks waaaay too busy. Hopefully it will work out as planned.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    671.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky

Some of the summer's fun.

Winter is here and we are getting ready for the next batch of upgrades. We are swapping to an MS3X so we can run CNP, launch control, boost control, TC lockup, fans, fuel pumps, vac pump, as well as a bunch of warning lights and let one ECM handle all of the add-ons that are in the car now. And if I get ambitious I'll add on and tune some traction control. We've had the ECM, harness and related parts for over a year, but wanted to wait until the off season to get it done.

Also we will be upgrading to C5 brakes in the front and swapping the dash to a Gran Prix giddyup. I want to say thanks to Longroof for helping us find the last part needed for the dash upgrade. I plan to move all of the engine bay wiring inside the car in an attempt to clean up the engine bay. Presently we have two aftermarket electrical add-ons out there and it looks waaaay too busy. Hopefully it will work out as planned.

Good luck on the upgrades. Looks like you've got plenty of work ahead of you.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Injectedcutty - you think this is alot of work? This is easy compared to what you have going on IMO.
I'll take re-wiring, engine swaps, driveline swaps/upgrades to body work any day lol :)

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Jim, I'm tuned in as always! Luckily for me the bodywork is done.. I'm just waiting for a call from the paintshop to tell me it's ready for a rollback, then all the tedious stuff begins.
All the trim, lighting, weatherstripping and seals get to go back on which isn't a bad job and will be exciting to see the car more assembled than it's been in 6 friggin years!!! The crappy part will be removing the painless TPI harness just to start installing the LS harness(still up in the air on going factory, holley efi, or other). I have Blazer brakes and an Astro shaft waiting to replace my already new factory brakes.

It will get done eventually, part by part. The long block is done, just need to sell some goodies to get the 4L80E.
Btw, I have the Holley Stealthram intake/1000cfm throttle body, and rails that need a good home hint hint lol!

Scott

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Making some progress. Had the 36-1 trigger wheel and crank pulley mated together. And the crank sensor bracket is made, fabricated with the sensor shimmed.

Attachments

• IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    748.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    742.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    717.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    409.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    487.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    603.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    770.3 KB · Views: 190

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Looks good Jim! That should help good with timing accuracy.
Correct, but that's just the start. It will allow us to run the individual coils which allows for spark that is 4+ times hotter. And with the cam sensor it will also allow for sequential injection to make the injectors a minor bit larger via allowing the injectors to fire once per cycle rather than twice.

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Making some progress. Had the 36-1 trigger wheel and crank pulley mated together. And the crank sensor bracket is made, fabricated with the sensor shimmed.

Is that a factory or aftermarket reluctor wheel?

Loving this build so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor