80 el camino 454 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
So I have an 80 el camino ss. I have a 454 that I'm rebuilding that I'd like to put in it. I'm wondering what has to be changed to make it fit. I know that I will need electric fans but what else? Will I need an induction hood, do I need to remove the blower motor/ac box, do I need to upgrade the suspension? It's not a daily driver so I'm not worried about fuel efficiency or anything like that and I'm not doing efi. So what exactly needs to be changed so the 454 can go in it? I've seen it done so I know it's possible.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The bb basically bolts right in place if the car already has a sbc in it. Same mounts between the two. As long as u use a stock or low rise intake it should clear a stock hood its the high rise intakes and big air cleaners where you run into clearance issues. I would think you could use an engine driven fan if you wanted too just most people opt for electics these days. Headers can be a b*tch to fit but that can be the case with any engine. Shouldn't need to modify the heater box with stock valve covers but again anything aftermarket may not be the case.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I would think you could use an engine driven fan if you wanted too
If my memory is correct Hot Rod did an article on a MC SS with a 454 swap back in '88 (still have the issue, will have to dig it out) & they used the 305's fan & clutch. It does go into good detail on the swap & pointed out the details that spidereyes455 posted. I'll add that the regular stock passenger car (A, B, F, X) oil pan fits & if not using headers you should be able to use A, F, & X manifolds. Our cars were designed to accept big blocks just because of the timing they started the design planning.

Reactions: 1 users

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
The bb basically bolts right in place if the car already has a sbc in it. Same mounts between the two. As long as u use a stock or low rise intake it should clear a stock hood its the high rise intakes and big air cleaners where you run into clearance issues. I would think you could use an engine driven fan if you wanted too just most people opt for electics these days. Headers can be a b*tch to fit but that can be the case with any engine. Shouldn't need to modify the heater box with stock valve covers but again anything aftermarket may not be the case.
Great! That’s exactly what I wanted to know.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
If my memory is correct Hot Rod did an article on a MC SS with a 454 swap back in '88 (still have the issue, will have to dig it out) & they used the 305's fan & clutch. It does go into good detail on the swap & pointed out the details that spidereyes455 posted. I'll add that the regular stock passenger car (A, B, F, X) oil pan fits & if not using headers you should be able to use A, F, & X manifolds. Our cars were designed to accept big blocks just because of the timing they started the design planning.
Thanks man. I think I’ll upgrade the fans anyway just because it’s not a lot extra and I’ve heard a lot of good things about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor