80 grand prix sj vortec swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand prix 80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Nice build so far! I'm doing something similar in an 84 monte carlo ss, did you have any issues with the power steering pump to the power steering gear box? Maybe it's the mounts I used. What mounts did you end up using?

Can't wait to see progress!
Nope I used the stock 98 GNC serpentine setup and mounts and the 98 gmc hoses went right in no problem into stock steering box

Reactions: 1 users

Grand prix 80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Nope I used the stock 98 GNC serpentine setup and mounts and the 98 gmc hoses went right in no problem into stock steering box
No I used gmc power steering pump I used the entire engine and serpentine set up out of the 98 gmc all fit just fine

Reactions: 1 user

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
No I used gmc power steering pump I used the entire engine and serpentine set up out of the 98 gmc all fit just fine
I run a similar serpentine setup on my 83 El Camino. I like that you have the Vortec heads! that thing ought to run like a scalded cat!

Reactions: 1 users

Grand prix 80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
I run a similar serpentine setup on my 83 El Camino. I like that you have the Vortec heads! that thing ought to run like a scalded cat!
I sure am hoping so. I had the option of 3 different vortex 5.7 engines and the 98 GNC had the most hp stock 255 so I'm hoping with converting it over and dropping half the weight of a gmc yukon it should run just like that. I'm running into some issues though so trying to figure it out isnt the easiest. Never done this extent of a swap. But will be worth it

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
I sure am hoping so. I had the option of 3 different vortex 5.7 engines and the 98 GNC had the most hp stock 255 so I'm hoping with converting it over and dropping half the weight of a gmc yukon it should run just like that. I'm running into some issues though so trying to figure it out isnt the easiest. Never done this extent of a swap. But will be worth it
I am also running a 70's era 350 with Vortec heads in my 65 El Camino. the engine( block and heads) should fit into the car , no problem. as for running an aftermarket intake on Vortec heads, everyone I talked to recommended the perma seal intake gaskets.FEL-PRO Part # MS98000T PermaDryPlus®
as for the Alternator and harness because of the Serpentine belt set up. the adapter harness is all I have ever needed to run the late model alternator ( I have ran this on my 83 and 84 El Caminos, wiring it to work in the 65 is a whole different task)

Grand prix 80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Well I got it running sounds great except for the no oil pressure. None what so ever. I'm wondering if the pick up dropped or fell off cause I know I put a new high volume oil pump on it

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how is your build coming? I'm putting a 5.7 vortec in my el camino and am planning on using the serpentine brackets from a 97 suburban. What did you end up doing about the AC? I hope you've got the car running the way you want!

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how is your build coming? I'm putting a 5.7 vortec in my el camino and am planning on using the serpentine brackets from a 97 suburban. What did you end up doing about the AC? I hope you've got the car running the way you want!
< You can run the AC Compressor on either side, some G body cars ran AC Compressor on Left/Driver's side, Others ran it on Right/Passenger's side. Right side cars also benefit from using F body Condensers (So I am told) but they do make AC Condensers that exit right or left. I am looking into putting AC back on my 83 and want to use the Serp set up, right side compressor ( but my progress is verrrry slooooooowwww

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
< You can run the AC Compressor on either side, some G body cars ran AC Compressor on Left/Driver's side, Others ran it on Right/Passenger's side. Right side cars also benefit from using F body Condensers (So I am told) but they do make AC Condensers that exit right or left. I am looking into putting AC back on my 83 and want to use the Serp set up, right side compressor ( but my progress is verrrry slooooooowwww
Yeah I get that they can be left or right. The AC was driver side on my V6. I thought the issue with the 95 and later truck AC was that it sat so high you couldn't connect any lines to it or close the hood.

Grand prix 80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
It's going great runs drives great. My ac still isnt running all I need to do is run lines and hook up the heater control wiring under hood

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor