80 Malibu looking for some Horses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley_Earl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2006
Mexico
Hi everybody, Im from Mexico, I already introduce me in "new ussers" section. Well, Im owner of a 1980 Malibu coupe almost in factory conditions (I love the original specs). It has a 350 with its factory Qjet, and a TH 350. All the mechanical and electrical features are original, but Im looking for 10 or 20 HP more with little modifications without damage much the originality. My questions are: What modifications do you recomend me?? I have thought in a dual exhaust system and incorporate a new carb, for example some edelbrock "perfermer series", but that will be sufficient to get 20 HP more???

Im waiting for your help, see you, and again my note: excuse me for my writting, Im learning english currently :D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hi Angel...welcome to the forum.....if your only looking for 20 extra hp the carb and exhaust will most likely do it as long as the engine is in good shape. If you want to throw a few more $$$ into it a set of vortec heads will give you around 40 to 50 extra horses and better fuel economy. The stock intake won't work with the votec heads though so thats more $$ if you go that way.

looks to me that your doing great with your english so no need to worry about it. ... :D

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Headers and a true dual exhaust will easily give you the additional power you want. Don't forget to make sure that the carburetor is jetted properly and the ignition timing curve is optimized after the headers and exhaust. Done correctly you could add 30-40hp.

Harley_Earl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2006
Mexico
Thanks to both, sounds great this about Vortec heads, can I get it from any 90's pick up V8 engine?? or Could you recomend me a web site to buy the appropiate heads with a correct intake for carb?

Respect the headers, yes, good recomendation, I'll think in it, too I'll try to get a real dual exhaust, in that case, do exists a diagram to install it or a web page?? Thanks again.

Harley_Earl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2006
Mexico
Thanks pontiac gp. Idont understand much about modifications, but Im trying to get my objetive, Im watching the site at this moment, good recomendation, is so complete. Thanks again.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you'll learn alot in this forum. As far as the votec heads if you do want to get a set then look for used ones. There are race tracks around my area that have web sites where they have buy and sell sections and there are always parts available for G bodies. One guy was selling a set of vortec heads for $500. I don't know what the prices are like in Mexico though.

Harley_Earl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2006
Mexico
Yes Im sure of it. In few visits I learned many things about my engine and my car reading your replies and the other topics in the forum. Thanks gp. About the heads I dont know the price, Im going to looking for it in junkyards, what do you think about it? see you.

FLY_THE_BOWTIE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2007
norman ,ok
Harley_Earl said:
Thanks to both, sounds great this about Vortec heads, can I get it from any 90's pick up V8 engine?? or Could you recomend me a web site to buy the appropiate heads with a correct intake for carb?

Respect the headers, yes, good recomendation, I'll think in it, too I'll try to get a real dual exhaust, in that case, do exists a diagram to install it or a web page?? Thanks again.

if this is just a driver,don't go with headers. just put a 2 1/4 inch true dual exhaust on it with the factory exhaust manifolds and it will wake that motor up. headeers can be a pain in the but and i wouldnt use them on my daily driver. my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor