80 Malibu - Planning for Wheels/Tires/Springs/Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Hey Guys,

Looking to upgrade the wheels, tires, shocks and springs on my 80 Malibu. It's a 70k mile granny car that came as a V6, now 408CI small block. I've enjoyed the sleeper look I have going now but am ready to upgrade to a better ride and more traction.

I already have 15x7" Monte SS wheels and my plan is Cooper Cobra 235/60/15 in the front and 275 or 255/60/15 Cooper Cobra's in the back. I'd like the 275's if I can fit them without rubbing so I'm looking for feedback.

I'm thinking KYB gas adjust shocks all around (smoking sale on rock auto).

For springs, does anyone know how to order F41 springs? I was thinking F41 replacement springs in front and maybe wagon springs in the rear to prevent sagging?

I'm sure a lot of guys have done this combo already, but I have searched and only find pieces of the puzzle not the whole thing so I thought I'd throw it out there hoping for some good feed back. The springs are the thing I think I need the most help with. Not really looking to lift the car(an inch or so in back for rake is fine) but want it to sit up at full ride height like a muscle car with wheel wells full of rubber.

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_182456031_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180422_182456031_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 160

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice Malibu, btw. There's less and less survivors out there these days.

As far as springs are concerned, I don't think you're going to be too happy with F-41 springs up front. I have Moog #5606's up front and they've settled over the years. When they were first installed, the car sat up a bit too high. At the time I didn't mind because I was living in NYC and the roads sucked. I would suggest S-10 #5658 or #5660's. I currently have cargo coils in the rear which also tend to lift the car some. I would look at F-body or A-body springs in the rear. I'm sure someone out there can elaborate.
I've had KYB Gas-adjust shocks for quite a few years now, and the car still rides and handles nicely.
I still say they're the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have Cooper Cobras on my Regal project with 15 x 8 ARE's and I am running 235/60 on the front and 275/60 on the rear.
No fitment issues with these.

20180527_195045-2_resized_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor