80 Malibu Steering gear upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappnutz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2018
Hey guys, my steering gear box is shot. I’m looking to replace it over the winter. I have the round ring version. I’d like to get something a bit stiffer not so loosie goosie. Looking for recommendations and suggestions. I’ve gone back through some threads but couldn’t find anything other then Astro can, s10 stuff. Is that best route?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Find yourself a good 800 series box out of Monte SS, 442, H/O, Z-28 Camaro, Firebird T/A, etc. You want the quick ratio box. Some Jeep Cherokees offer a quick ratio box. Do a search on the web. You're bound to find a bunch of info on the subject.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Make sure to also grab the pitman arm.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Truthfully eBay has tons of them cheap enough. My 80 Malibu has a 2.5 turn box.

Reactions: 3 users

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Rock Auto has the MC SS quick ratio box for less than $100, Made a great differebce in my 87 ELCO

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor