'80 Olds Cutlass Cruiser Brougham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'd like to introduce Jacob Pandolph, a new member and fellow wagon pusher. As the title states, he's the new owner of an '80 Cutlass Cruiser. Hopefully, he'll share some pics of his new ride...and chime in and tell us where he's from.

Here's what he told me.

So, I’m new to this Forum. I recently purchased a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser Brougham, and I really haven’t been able to find out where to buy parts. I got an amazing deal and bought it for $500. It needs many parts like rubber seals for the windows, a door doesn’t open, and it needs some minor cosmetic work. I don’t know what to start on first. The car runs and drives great. The bottom back door won’t open either. I don’t know what to do first.

Jacob, anytime you'd like to chime in and continue this thread, please do so. Btw, it has a factory installed Chevy 350, which is unusual.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Jacob Pandolph

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
Hey, Thanks for all of your help Jack, my name is Jacob Pandolph, I have a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser Brougham, and I really need some advice on where to buy parts for it. For one, the drivers door won’t open, I’m not sure why, so how would I go about fixing that? Also, all of the interior plastic has gotten so much sun damage that it’s brittle. And then, the tailgate door thing on the wagon won’t open, the mechanism was busted. I bought it for $500 running and driving. Mechanically it just needs a new set of tires, and maybe some front end work. I’ve driven it around, and I can assure you, it rides nicer than my moms old Cadillac DeVille that she once had. Any advice on where to get window rubber? Maybe new interior plastics?

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard, Jacob,
You will have to post some pics of your wagon. Interior plastics can't be found new, so it will have to be from either a 4-dr parts car or if you're fortunate enough to find a clean wagon that's being parted out.

What do you mean about the tailgate mechanism? Is it the lock assembly that's broken? If so, that's a common problem and you can replace that with a first generation S-10 Blazer taigate lock. The only thing is, it's black, not chrome...or is it the mechanism in the tailgate?

Window rubber? Do you mean the window sweeps? glass run channel? ...or door seal weatherstripping?

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Jacob Pandolph

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
I got this car quite recently, but the seals along the outside of the windows are all eaten away with sun damage, and the tailgate little lock thing is broken, I’m not quite sure how to describe it. The door mechanism is broken on the drivers side door.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Please post pics describing what you're talking about.

Jacob Pandolph

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
E76413EF-964D-454C-B23A-419AC06071AD.png CF03AC4B-CE14-465D-8266-90E802022A06.png A6391BF7-1B1E-438B-B410-819B964C2CB0.png 7B879E37-DBD0-4042-81D1-208AF60F18BD.png 7B879E37-DBD0-4042-81D1-208AF60F18BD.png 3991994A-4CEB-433B-9A9D-CC041DEB3446.png

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jacob,
Some of the interior panels are almost next to impossible to find....especially the the tailgate inner panel. I found mine in a junkyard more than 10 yrs ago. It wasn't perfect, but a lot better than the weather beaten one that was in my car. The same with the rear side panels.
I'd suggest if they're not too badly weathered, they may be able to be surface treated and repainted. You gotta be creative with these cars, especially when many of the parts are no longer out there.
Come to think of it, there was a member selling wagon interior parts not too long ago in the Parts for sale section.

The rubber seal across the top of the tailgate is NLA. You'll have to resort to finding a decent, usable one, treat it with a good rubber preservative and use it.

The outer tailgate/ hatch rubber seal can be used from various minivans. I also heard a Ford Explorer seal will work. Also, GM trunk seal rubber....but if you can find it by the length, that will work fine.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Jacob,
I'm green (with envy). I've been looking for a Cutlass Cruiser for over a year, obviously without any success. Congrats. Where are you located?

Jacob Pandolph

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
I’m in Blairsville, GA. And I got this car for $500. What a steal considering it runs and drives great. I wasn’t even looking for any old wagon in specific, but this one took my heart away right off the batt. I’m in love with it. It may need some work, but nothing I can’t handle. It’s my first car. I am 17. I rushed through the start of this forum and now it says I’m 25. But who minds, right? I love this car, and am willing to do anything to fix it up. I’ve had a love for mechanics for a while, I found an easy fix, and I plan on keeping it forever. I want to fully restore it. Not sure how I can, but I’ll figure it out.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jacob,
I'm glad to see that you're enthusiastic and willing to give it your all. Just stick around and learn as much as you can....and don't be afraid to ask questions if necessary.

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor