'80 Olds Cutlass Cruiser Brougham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Pandolph

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
So Jack,
How much would it be do you think to make the inside nice again? And restore it? I figure it just needs the mechanics working and a nice clean out (I’ve alresdy done that). I don’t quite know where to get a new rear bumper, the one I have is shot, and maybe a new front end because the plastic is shot on it too. I know this car is a beauty, and I hope it’s worth fixing. I only found one other Brougham online of this model. I’m not sure where to find all of the parts for it. I’m sure I could sand down the interior plastic a bit and redo it. Right?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had no idea a sbc 350 was even an option on the wagon. I would have guessed an Olds 350 but didn't think either was available in a G body except a 442. Good luck with your parts hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I had no a sbc 350 was even an option on the wagon. I would have guessed an Olds 350 but didn't think either was available in a G body except a 442. Good luck with your parts hunt.
I know many Canadian models commonly came with a small block Chevy.
Ben, the fellow who autocrosses his Cutlass Cruiser wagon whose son also has a Cutlass Cruiser wagon. His son's car came stock with a 350 Chevy, which I thought was unusual for an American made car.

Last edited:

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
So Jack,
How much would it be do you think to make the inside nice again? And restore it? I figure it just needs the mechanics working and a nice clean out (I’ve alresdy done that). I don’t quite know where to get a new rear bumper, the one I have is shot, and maybe a new front end because the plastic is shot on it too. I know this car is a beauty, and I hope it’s worth fixing. I only found one other Brougham online of this model. I’m not sure where to find all of the parts for it. I’m sure I could sand down the interior plastic a bit and redo it. Right?
Jacob,
It's hard to put a number on what it would cost you. I would just try to source the best parts you can afford, and of course do all the labor yourself.

A rear bumper should be relatively easy to find being that it's the same as an El Camino bumper. I gave one away not too long ago. They can be gotten new, but might be a bit on the pricey side. I'm sure at your age you're working with a tight budget.

It's hard to assess the condition of your interior parts, etc. from pics on the internet.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you guys so much! I’m open to any new tips. How can I get better fuel economy? What might it be?
It largely depends on how the car will be used. These cars weren't known for getting the greatest gas mileage. Just make sure it's well tuned....new plugs, wires, fuel filter(s), fresh oil change....the carb is running efficiently. The engine is properly timed.
I would concentrate on optimizing the car mechanically and then turning to the interior and body. Once it's running well, mechanically up to snuff and driveable, you can always work on the interior and exterior while you drive the car.
Make sure the car is safe to drive. Safety is very important. New tires, rebuilt frontend, shocks, springs, steering components...etc.
Do you have your drivers license already?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I know many Canadian models commonly came with a small block Chevy.
Ben, the fellow who autocrosses his Cutlass Cruiser wagon whose son also has a Cutlass Cruiser wagon. His son's car came stock with a 350 Chevy, which I thought was unusual for an American made car.
Yes, and all I have seen were 267 or 305 powered, except late 70's El Camino's.
Make sure everything done tune up wise as said and use non ethanol fuel, if possible.

• Agree

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yes, and all I have seen were 267 or 305 powered, except late 70's El Camino's.
Make sure everything done tune up wise as said and use non ethanol fuel, if possible.
I agree, It's usually the small displacement sbc engines that you normally see in these cars...not 350s'.
Non-ethanol fuel is the way to go, but not always easy to find in certain areas. I happened to luck out and found a station close by that pumps non-ethanol gas.
Otherwise, it's either a private airport or marina that would dispense non-ethanol fuel.
The advantage is, it doesn't degrade like the "corn fuel" does, and doesn't absorb water like the ethanol gas does. So, if a car doesn't get driven enough, non-ethanol is the way to go.
I use it in my cars, lawn mowers, and minibikes.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Agree

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor