81-88 Monte Carlo picture thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
Sorry if I missed a previous thread specifically for 80's Monte Carlo's but I couldn't see any other than the 78-80 thread. If there isn't one then I guess we will start one here! :D

My 84 SS I picked up at a wreckers getting ready to be crushed!! ......numbers matching, all original, running driving (but rustyand a couple dents) I gave the owner of the wrecking yard the cost of the weight in metal ($700) and drove it on the trailer and hauled it home!....the story was it was picked up in a farm yard with a bunch of other cars to be hauled away and crushed :shock:
this is when I first picked it up;

camera_013_small.JPG

normal_9673kb0_20.jpg

after doing a quick patch job on the rust and paint and some new rims and tires that were sitting around, and whalla.....my daily driver!

IMG_2722%5B1%5D_small.JPG

My next Monte SS is an 87 that I just stumbled across and picked up recently. It is in beautiful condition in and out with new exhaust and some modifications to the motor and transmission that I still don't know exactly what. The guy I bought it from had it stored in his heated garage for a few years after buying it for his son. His son never took an interest in the car and up for sale it went! He delivered it over 400kms away to my door for $2200 cash!I don't know about the states or the U.K but that is a steal here in Canada! :wink:

This is how it looked the day he brought it. Sorry about the small picture but I only had my camera phone on me.

sspx0318%5B1%5D.JPG

The last couple days I spent some time cleaning it up a bit and took off the aged pinstripping and put on the rims and tires from the 84 SS. I am going to do a bit more touch up to the paint as there a few chips, and possibly paint the front lower lip white. I am also considering a cowl hood. I will take more pictures as it evolves! thanks for looking :D

normal_sspx0322%5B1%5D.JPG

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
Are you kidding me!?! Crushed. As I look toward the heavens I am reminded that this is a God and He saved another beautiful piece of machinery. Amen.
Indecently I have the same one. What gets me is, yours is so damn good compared to what mine was. I picked mine up for a pay check. You?

Attachments

• WP_000117.jpg
    WP_000117.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 4,882
  • 100_1344.JPG
    100_1344.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,947

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
KILLSHOTB said:
Are you kidding me!?! Crushed. As I look toward the heavens I am reminded that this is a God and He saved another beautiful piece of machinery. Amen.
Indecently I have the same one. What gets me is, yours is so damn good compared to what mine was. I picked mine up for a pay check. You?

I picked it up for the cost of it's weight in metal; $700........Your 84 looks waaaaaay better than mine did, I posted the best shot of it I had :lol: here are some other pics of it (the bad ones :wink: )

normal_35516l5_20.jpg

notice the heavy surface rust in this picture and the dent behind the rear wheel and broken moulding around the tail light. There was also rust through in the trunk and bottom corner of door skins.

normal_sspx0296%5B1%5D.JPG

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Glad you saved the car!

If you picked that up at a wrecker here in North Regina....

I hummed and hawwed about buying this one....but have enough projects of my own....do you happen to know what he did with the white one? I think it was an 86 and incomplete...he was going to use the blue one for parts. He never ever told me he was going to crush it.....he had them both for sale as a pkg at one time.

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
O. D. Showtime said:
Glad you saved the car!

If you picked that up at a wrecker here in North Regina....

I hummed and hawwed about buying this one....but have enough projects of my own....do you happen to know what he did with the white one? I think it was an 86 and incomplete...he was going to use the blue one for parts. He never ever told me he was going to crush it.....he had them both for sale as a pkg at one time.

Yes thats the one, as far as I know he still has the 86, it was only the frame and the rear clip though. I have way too many projects too :blam: but couldn't resist this! :wink: . He was asking more for that than the complete 84, I think $1500.00!!. He said that he was tired of tire kickers and was going to take out the drive trane and front clip from the 84 and use it on the 86 and crush the rest. He also said that the frame was no good because of rust but there is only one hole in the frame under the driver side way at the back under the trunk. The rest is solid, even the rocker panels are solid. When I started driving it, the power steering started leaking everywhere and had to replace the line and tighten the belt, and it would backfire at high speeds if you let off on the gas. I took the distributer cap off and the rotor was held in by 1 loose screw and flopping around loose. The tab on the rotor was twisted and bent from flying around loose. (I still don't know how it even ran) I bent the tab straight and tightened the rotor down again and problem solved! other than that it has been a great car and fun to drive. :D

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Cool....I know last fall he offered me both cars for the $1500. He said that they weren't going anywhere until spring and I could think about it over the winter. Too much going on here so I passed. Good to see it back on the road! I have a feeling that the incomplete 86 might get crushed...but I haven't talked to him in a while now.

They turn over cars really quick at that yard....he says he can't keep all the old stuff unless his son (the guy you bought the Monte from) wants something....I've missed several Malibus and lots of other Gbodys. I can't get there before they close after my work during the week and he hasn't been opening weekends. When I do get in the Gbodys are usually already stacked and ready to get crushed. Thane the young guy was really into Cutlass's for a while and the last time I was there there were 3 or 4...

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
My first 86 Monte SC and my second 86 Monte SC . The grey one was my first had it almost ten years . Got tired of all the rust holes leaking roof engine issues and brake issues . decided to part it out and then junk the rest . the second one the maroon one is my new baby had it a year now . 4.3 in this one that can be temperamental but i like the fuel savings .

2012-04-21172724.jpg

DSCF0624.jpg

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
Do you have any before pics of the floor pan?
Do you have any engine pics? before and after?
I paid about the same and yeah you probably did the same metal work I did. Now those were before and after pics.
here are some more "before" pics....

Attachments

• 100_0118.JPG
    100_0118.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,840
  • 100_0120.JPG
    100_0120.JPG
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 4,840
  • 100_0124.JPG
    100_0124.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,818
  • 100_0117.JPG
    100_0117.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,830

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada
Aha!.....now I see! I thought the one pic was a before shot as well :wink: ......I will lift the carpet and take a shot of the floor pan and trunk. Here are some more pics of how it sits right now.

normal__%28KGrHqRHJCQE-dQs2DQ5BPrdDsYPTg~~48_20.jpg

normal__%28KGrHqN%2C%21osE9d%21CsrWdBPrdDL8JWQ~~48_20~0.jpg

normal__%28KGrHqF%2C%21psE9eLob%21OQBPrdD%2Bw%2C%2Cg~~48_20.jpg

normal__%28KGrHqN%2C%21pEE9ln1JiM%21BPrdEfjSc%21~~48_20.jpg

normal__%28KGrHqRHJDoE-PBe-SSLBPrdE9dGLw~~48_20.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor